Food Safety Section
Food Safety for Consumers
Clean. Separate. Cook. Chill. Watch this short video for tips for year-round safe food preparation.
Food Recalls - FDA, USDA and related recalls.
Use these MYTHBUSTERS to identify basic safe food handling practices:
- Myth 1: If I microwave food, the microwaves kill the bacteria, so the food is safe.
- Myth 2: Of course I wash all bagged lettuce and greens because it might make me sick if I don’t.
- Myth 3: I don’t need to use a food thermometer. I can tell when my food is cooked by looking at it or checking the temperature with my finger.
- Myth 4: I can’t re-freeze foods after I have thawed them – I have to cook them or throw them away.
HOME FOOD SAFETYBe Food Safe.
Food safety risks at home are more common than most people think.
Learn more about CLEAN, SEPARATE, COOK and CHILL.
Safe Food Preparation
- General Tips
Health Risks of Raw Milk- Please contact the
Fairfax County Health Department with your questions or concerns
703-246-2444, TTY 771.
- Holiday Food Safety Tips
- Limits to Leftovers
- Food Safety for Seniors
- Kids Food Safety
- Foodborne Illness
- Allergy Awareness
Food Safety in Emergencies
Complaint or Concerns:
If you have a complaint or concern about food safety in a restaurant
in Fairfax County, Fairfax City or the City of Falls Church, please
contact the Food Safety Section of the Fairfax County Health
Department at 703-246-2444.
To report improper food handling/cleanliness in a restaurant Submit Complaint here.
Join the Health Department in preventing illness through proper hand washing techniques.
Food Safety for Restaurant Owners/Operators
Employee Health Policy Initiative
Do you have an employee health policy? Do your employees know what a foodborne illness is? Do your employees realize that they have a responsibility to the restaurant and to the customers to know how to prevent the spread of a foodborne illness? What do you do as a manager if an employee is diagnosed with, or has symptoms of, a foodborne illness? These and other questions are answered in the NEW Employee Health Policy section of the website.
Permitting Process for Food
Permit to Operate a Food Establishment - New establishment, change of ownership, renewal applications
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Certified Food Manager (CFM) Guidelines - Requirements, training and testing locations
FOOD FOR THOUGHT NEWSLETTER
Current Issue: Warm Weather is Coming!
- NVSL Food Safety Workshop Registration (June 1, 2013)
- Registration Form (Jan.- June) for Food Safety Workshop
- Registration Form (Aug.- Dec.) for Food Safety Workshop
- Information Packet
- Permit Application