Family Services Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I call for help or advice on parenting or to report my concerns about possible child abuse or neglect?

Call the Child Protective Services (CPS) Hotline at 703-324-7400 (for hearing impaired: 711-Virginia Relay Center), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For a listing of parenting resources and programs, visit:

At what age can a child be left home alone?

The county has developed guidelines that help in deciding when a child can be left unsupervised. Generally speaking, a child 7 years and under should NOT be left at home unsupervised for any period of time.

For complete guidelines, call the CPS Hotline at 703-324-7400 or visit the Department of Family Services Web site at:

Where can I find after-school care for my children?

Parents can call 703-449-8989 (for hearing impaired: 711-Virginia Relay Center) to enroll their child in Office for Children's School Age Child Care (SACC) program. In addition to the before- and after-school program, SACC operates summer and holiday programs during school break periods. Information about SACC is also available at:

How can I learn more about becoming a foster or adoptive parent?

Call the Department of Family Services Foster Care and Adoption Program at 703-324-7639 (TTY: 703-222-9452). Or visit the Foster Care and Adoption page  on the DFS Web site.

I'd like to give back to my community. Are there volunteer opportunities with the Department of Family Services?

Volunteers with Fairfax County's Department of Family Services make a real difference in real lives, working with children at risk, teens in foster care, parents, grandparents, older adults, and adults with disabilities. Visit the Web site at to find out more.

How do I apply for public assistance (Food Stamps, Medicaid, Energey Assistance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)?

You may apply for public assistance online or by mail, in person, or through someone authorized to represent you. DFS office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (additional hours available on request). Appointments are not required for most programs. For an application, office locations or more information, call 703-324-7500 (TTY: 703-222-9452) or visit Fairfax County's Public Assistance page.

How do I apply for Medicare Part D and/or "extra help" for Medicare Part D?

Complete an "Application for Help With Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs" (form SSA- 1020), by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or going online at In addition, residents of Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church may apply for "extra help" at any of the Department of Family Services offices.

Where do I go for help in finding a job?

For information on One Stop and SkillSource Centers in the Northern Virginia area, call 703-533-5400 (TTY: 703-533-5316) or visit:

For more information and the location of area employment resource centers, visit:

Where can I find information about assisted living facilities or nursing homes in Northern Virginia?

Call the Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program at 703-324-5861 (TTY 703- 449-1186) or visit their Web site at

Other helpful information can be found in Older Adults Services.

Who can I call if I suspect abuse or neglect (including self-neglect) of an elderly person or person with disabilities?

Call Fairfax County's Adult Protective Services at 703-324-7450 (TTY: 703-449-1186) if you are concerned about a specific individual.

If you would like information about nursing homes or assisted living facilities or have a concern about a particular facility, call the Northern Virginia Long Term Care Ombudsman Program at 703-324-5861 (TTY: 703-449-1186). Or visit the Ombudsman Program Web site at:

I am trying to balance work and caring for my elderly relative. What types of resources are available to help us?

Call the Area Agency on Aging at 703-324-7948 (TTY 703-449-1186) and ask to speak with an aging information specialist who is available to assist older adults, caregivers and others seeking access to community resources. Find Caregiver-related resources.

How can seniors get help with paying for prescriptions? What health services are available for low-income seniors without insurance?

Call the Virginia Insurance Counseling & Assistance Program (VICAP) Intake Line at 703-324-5851 (TTY: 703-449-1186). A VICAP counselor can provide you with health care options as well as sources for obtaining free or reduced-cost prescription medications.

What services are available for persons with disabilities in Fairfax County?

All Fairfax County government programs are available to persons with disabilities. Anyone having difficulty accessing services or programs should contact Disability Services Planning and Development at 703-324-5421 (TTY: 703-449-1186) or visit their Web site at:

Back to Top

Fairfax County Department of Family Services
[ 12011 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035 ]
[ 703-324-7500 ]

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version