Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for Social Security Benefits?

Social Security benefits are administered by the Social Security Administration. For adult disability benefits, you must fill out the application and the Adult Disability Report. You can fill out the application either online, by calling 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), or contacting your local Social Security Office for an appointment.

For child disability benefits, the Child Disability Report can be filled out online. Call 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security Office to set up an appointment to complete the rest of the application in person or over the phone.


2. What accommodations can be made on the job for my disability?

Accommodations vary depending on the job and the type of disability. Some types of accommodations include assistive technology like screen-reading software for individuals who are blind or a modified workstation for people who use wheelchairs. Other accommodations may include a flexible work schedule or the ability to telework.

The Job Accommodation Network offers a searchable database of common accommodations and provides confidential and free assistance to employees and employers by calling 800-232-9675 or TTY 877-781-9403.


3. How do I get an accessible parking tag?

DMV offers accessible parking placards and plates for customers with temporary or permanent disabilities that affect their mobility. They are also available to customers with a condition that creates a safety concern while walking.

The first step in obtaining the accessible parking placard is to fill out the application. You may submit your application in person at any DMV customer service center or by mail to:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
P. O. Box 85815
Richmond, VA 23285-5815

Your application for a temporary or permanent accessible parking placard or accessible parking license plates must include your physician's, physician assistant's, podiatrist's, chiropractor's, or nurse practitioner's certification of your disability.

Podiatrists and chiropractors may only certify for the conditions or disabilities listed in the certification section provided for podiatrists and chiropractors on the MED 10 form. Refer to the Certification table on the MED 10 to determine the medical professional authorized to certify your allowable condition.

If you are applying for a license plate showing the International Symbol of Access, and you already hold a permanent placard, a physician's, physician assistant's, podiatrist's, chiropractor's or nurse practitioner's certification is not required.

If you hold accessible parking license plates and you are applying for a permanent placard, no physician's, physician assistant's, podiatrists, chiropractors or nurse practitioner's certification is required.

If you are applying for a disabled veteran's license plate with the International Symbol of Access, you must present:

A MED 10 form signed by a medical professional who is authorized to certify your disability along with a Veteran's Certificate of Disability, VSA 54, signed by the Veteran's Administration, and the License Plate Application, VSA 10


The VSA 54 form only, signed by both a medical professional to certify your disability and by the Veteran's Administration to qualify you for the plate, along with the License Plate Application, VSA 10.

Veterans with qualifying disabilities are exempt from annual registration fees and are entitled to plates for one motor vehicle that is owned and used personally by the veteran.

Temporary and permanent placards cost $5. With the required certification, a person with a valid, unexpired license plate may obtain the International Symbol of Access at no additional charge.

For more information, go to


4. How do I get information about my state elected officials?

The Virginia General Assembly is a bicameral legislature consisting of the House of Delegates and the Senate. The General Assembly's chief responsibilities are to represent citizens in the formulation of public policy, enact laws of the Commonwealth, approve the budget, levy taxes, elect judges, and confirm appointments by the Governor.

The House of Delegates shall consist of 90 to 100 members and the Senate shall consist of 33 to 40 members. All members of the General Assembly are elected by qualified voters within their respective House and Senate districts. The terms of office are two years for members of the House and four years for members of the Senate. Members may not hold any other public office during their term of office.

To find out specific information about your state elected officials, go to the General Assembly's Who’s My Legislator page and put in your home address.


5. Where can I read the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a civil rights law that protects the rights of people with disabilities. The ADA is broken out into three sections: Title I, which covers employment; Title II, which covers programs, activities, and services of public entities; and Title III, which covers public accommodations like businesses and nonprofits.

To read the ADA and review publications about the law, go to


6. Who can answer questions about the ADA or other disability rights laws?

The Department of Family Services’ Disability Services Planning & Development (DSPD) educates people with disabilities about their rights, educates providers about their responsibilities, and provides the public with technical assistance on disability related laws.  

To contact a staff member, call 703-324-5421, 703-449-1186 (TTY) or email


7. How can I find employment?

The Virginia Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services helps people with disabilities train for, find, and retain employment In order to receive help, you must be a client. The first step to become a client is to contact your local office for an appointment. The Northern Virginia office is located in Fairfax. Call 703-359-1124, 703-359-1123 (TTY) to schedule an appointment.

At your appointment, counselors will help you apply for service.

Some information they may ask you for:

  • What your disability is and how you feel about it
  • Your job plans;
  • What records (medical, mental health, alcohol or substance abuse, special education, employee, social security disability, etc.) might help us understand your disability;
    • Names and addresses of schools you attended;
    • Names and addresses of any doctors you have seen recently;
  • Places you have worked and when, type of job, skills, salary, and why you left;
  • Type of medical insurance you have;
  • transportation issues
  • Your Social Security number.

The Fairfax County SkillSource Centers help people prepare for and find jobs. The services offered include job preparation workshops, including resume-writing assistance, individualized employment/career counseling, information about job-related training and education, and ongoing customer support.


For more information, call any of the SkillSource Employment Resource Centers listed below:

In Fairfax County or the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church ...

    • Annandale: 703-533-5400; TTY:703-533-5316
    • Alexandria: 703-704-6286; TTY:703-704-6685
    • Reston: 703-787-4974; TTY:703-787-3166


8. What are Centers for Independent Living and is there one near me?

Centers for Independent Living (CILs) are community-based advocacy and resource organizations that promote independent living and are run by and for people with disabilities.

The ENDependence Center of Northern Virginia (ECNV) serves the Northern Virginia area, including Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church.

Contact information for ECNV:

Telephone: 703-525-3268
TTY: 703-525-3553
VP: 866-849-3852

If you live outside of the Northern Virginia area, the ILRU Directory of Centers offers a directory by state.


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version