Free Income Tax Preparation
Families throughout Northern Virginia received over $7 million in federal refunds last tax season through this free service.
If you worked in 2012, and earned less than $51,000, then you may qualify. IRS certified volunteers will ensure you receive the maximum tax refund and help determine if you are eligible for the earned income tax credit.
Sites open starting mid-January through April. See the
list of sites and
Please bring the following items:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID.
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents.
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available.
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate.
For more information about the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
please contact Attia Mahmood at:
703-324-7731; TTY 711
or visit the VITA website.