Families throughout Northern Virginia received over $7.6 million in federal refunds last tax season through this free service.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax preparation assistance to individuals and families who earned $56,000 or less in 2019. IRS trained and certified volunteers are available at 15 sites throughout Northern Virginia and will ensure you receive the maximum tax refund and help determine if you are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
Sites open starting mid-January through April. See the list of sites and hours.
Please bring the following items:
- Photo ID for you and your spouse if filing jointly.
- ALL CLIENTS (INCLUDING RETURNING) MUST HAVE: Social Security cards or Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) for everyone in the family. All income statements: W-2, W-P, W-2G & 1099, etc.
- All income statements for each working dependent: W-2, etc.
- Voided check for direct deposit.
- Expense documents: dependent care, education-related expenses, home mortgage interest payments.
- Proof of health insurance coverage, i.e. form 1095A, insurance card, Medicare or Medicaid card.
Prefer to file your own taxes?
The South County Center location offers a Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) option. Trained and certified volunteers will be on-site to answer questions or assist as needed.