Licensing and Legislation

The Office of Licensure and Certification (OLC) regulates nursing facilities and the Department of Social Services regulates assisted living facilities. State inspectors visit facilities at least once a year to determine their compliance with state standards and their qualifications to receive Medicare and Medicaid program participants. Long-term care insurance, private pay, Medicare and Medicaid ( are the ways that residents pay for long-term care. Medicare also provides information through Nursing Home Compare to help consumers research nursing home facilities, and includes inspection reports.  These can be seen by entering the name of the facility and scrolling down the page to see the list of inspections.  Inspection reports for assisted living facilities can be viewed by typing in the name of the facility, then clicking on the name when it comes up.

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Programs all over the country have long voiced concern over poor staffing in nursing homes. If you have concerns about short staffing, we encourage you to file a complaint with the appropriate licensing agency and to participate in the political process by contacting your legislators to let them know your experiences and suggestions to improve long-term care.

While in a long-term care facility, most problems can be worked out with the administration. If they cannot, assistance may be obtained through the Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. We are designated to investigate concerns and to try to resolve conflicts. Again, if we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 703-324-5861, TTY 711.

To File a Complaint to the Appropriate Regulatory Licensing Agency

To Contact Your Legislator About Long Term Care Issues

You may call and find out the name of your Representative or Senator at 202-224-3121 or by visiting the U.S. House of Representatives website or the U.S. Senate website.

You may also write or e-mail your Representative or Senator at:

Representative (Name)
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515
E-mail your U.S. Representatives

Senator (Name)
United States Senate
Washington, D.C. 20510
E-mail your U.S. Senators

For a sample letter to your Representative or Senator, please visit: 

To Research Current and Proposed Legislation

Long-term care facilities are regulated by the Code of Virginia. Current and past legislation can be accessed using the Legislative Information System (Virginia Administrative Code).


Back to Top 

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version