Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Volunteer Ombudsman Program
Consider volunteering as a Long-Term Care Ombudsman! Ombudsmen advocate for the rights of residents of nursing and assisted living facilities. They also help residents resolve conflicts and improve their quality of life.
Our volunteers say they get so much more than they give from this
high-impact volunteer opportunity!
FIRST talk to our volunteer manager, Lisa Callahan. You can reach her at 703-324-5861, TTY 711 or Lisa.Callahan@fairfaxcounty.gov.
THEN register as a volunteer with Fairfax County. (Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman volunteers serve the jurisdictions of Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun. Fairfax County provides volunteer management for all these jurisdictions.)
Online registration takes about 15-20 minutes.
Go to the registration page now!
- Commit to four hours a week for at least one year.
- Visit assisted living and nursing home facilities between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays.
- Work in Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, or Loudoun.
- Watch this YouTube Video: About the Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program.
- Listen to this Fairfax 50+ Podcast: Volunteer Advocates.
- Read a position description.
- Read frequently asked questions.
- Find office directions.
- Go to Long-Term Care Ombudsman Volunteers Tell It Like It Is to read what volunteers have said.