Are you raising a child for a family member or friend? If so, you are not alone. You are one of over 5,200 kinship caregivers in Fairfax County. Financial, legal and emotional situations can be challenging. You can find services support and training and resources right here.
The Fairfax County Department of Family Services is planning a new program to serve kinship families and needs your help. It will help us support you better in the future! If you are raising a child for a family member or friend, we would like to hear from you. Please complete this survey. This survey should take only about 10 minutes to complete. If you would rather complete the survey by phone, please call: 703-246-4KIN or 703-246-4546. Thank you in advance for your participation.
"The best part of being a kinship caregiver is seeing where you started and how far the child has come. That makes me proud." - Kinship Caregiver
Kinship Quick Guide
• Legal Assistance
• Financial Assistance
• Healthcare Assistance
• Care for the Caregiver
• Child Care
• Recreation and Leisure
• Falls Church City Services
• Emergency Assistance
• Additional Web Information
• Additional Contact Information
• Family Information Sheet
New Caregiver Information
• How do I register my
child for school?
• I need child care. Who can I call?
• Where can I get information about custody?
• Where can I get furniture or clothes for my child?
• Are there support groups for families like ours?
Caregivers play a crucial role in a kinship family. Taking good care of yourself empowers you to be the best possible caregiver to your children. A happier and healthier family starts with you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kinship Caregiving
- What documents am I likely to need for the child I'm raising?
- What should I know about custody?
- What should I do if I cannot care for the child, but neither can the child's parents?
- What are commonly used legal resources?
- What types of financial assistance are available? .
- How do I get child support for my children?
- How do I access Social Security Survivor Benefits for children who quality?
- Is there healthcare assistance for the child(ren)?
- Where can I go to get the child(ren) immunizations/vaccinations/shots/physicals?
- If I have some concerns about the young child's development, where can I find someone to complete an evaluation?
- What support services are available for caregivers and why are they important?
- How can I help prepare my young child for school?
- How do I register a child for school and what documentation is needed?
- What should I do if I have academic, mental health, or behavioral concerns about my child at school?
- What should I do if I have questions about special education?
- What do I do if we are experiencing homelessness?
- How do I access Child Care Resources?
- What is available for children to do after school?
- What types of programs, activities, and facilities are available for family members?
- What are some additional recreation and leisure resources?
- What services are available if we live in Falls Church?
- Question: As a caregiver, what additional important phone numbers should I know?
- How can I keep track of important information on my child?