Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Our office is open 9AM-5PM M-F

TTY 711

12000 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035

Contact Name,


What Are the Laws?
  • Asking for money is a protected act under the First Amendment.
  • Asking for money in public areas, including roadway medians, is not a violation of law.
  • The county monitors legal developments related to panhandling.


What About Public Safety?
  • Our police officers will intervene when panhandlers commit traffic offenses or engage in criminal activity.
  • If you witness a panhandler breaking the law, contact the Fairfax County Police Department. The emergency number is 9-1-1 and the non-emergency number is 703-691-2131.
  • Our police officers are very responsive and will take immediate action if a crime is being committed. Proactive community assistance with reducing criminal activity is invaluable.
  • Police officers refer panhandlers they encounter to available county human services, but cannot force them to receive services.
Who Are Panhandlers?
  • Not all panhandlers are homeless, but may be in need of food and other critical services.
  • However, many of the stories panhandlers use to solicit money are not true.
  • Some panhandlers come from outside our county or even outside Virginia.
  • Some panhandlers operate as part of organized, professional panhandling rings.
What Can You Do?
  • Refer panhandlers – or anyone you see who may be in need – to our county’s social services programs. We have a wide-range of services and housing resources. Provide them with this human services hotline phone number: 703-222-0880.
  • You can also make copies of this handout with information on where and how to obtain critical services, including food and shelter. Have a few copies in your car to give out when you come across a panhandler.
  • Consider making a donation or volunteering for one of our nonprofit community partners dedicated to assisting our residents in need.

Illegal Sign Removal Program

Fairfax County removes signs that are illegally put on or along selected roads. This includes political campaign signs, advertising signs and more.

Signs are regularly picked up every week between Tuesday and Thursday by the Sheriff’s Community Labor Force. Signs will not be cleaned up based on public complaints.

The county is removing signs to assist the Virginia Department of Transportationbut VDOT is still responsible for maintaining the roads.


What You Should Know

  • Signs will not be removed from neighborhood streetsonly selected major roads across the county. Create or join a VDOT Adopt-a-Highway group to remove signs from neighborhood streets and other roads.
  • The clean-up program does not address signs on private property. For complaints about signs on private property only, use this online form. Learn more about the rules for signs on private property and other locations.
  • Only signs will be removed from roads — not trash or litter.
  • Contact VDOT about signs that cause a safety hazard on the roads at 1-800-FOR-ROAD, TTY 711, or use VDOT's online form.


What Happens to Collected Signs

After the county removes a sign, it will be stored for five calendar days at the I-66 Transfer Station where it may be reclaimed. Signs will be destroyed after five days. However, VDOT's Adopt-a-Highway groups may collect signs at any time on their designated roads, and they may destroy these signs immediately.

For more information about the county's sign removal program, call 703-324-SIGN (7446), TTY 711.

Roads in the Program

The purple lines on this map mark the roads that are included in the county's sign removal program. These roads are also listed below this map.

List of Roads

  • Amherst Ave.
  • Annandale Rd.*
  • Backlick Rd.
  • Balls Hill Rd
  • Baron Cameron Ave
  • Beulah Rd
  • Beulah St
  • Blake Ln
  • Bland St.*
  • Boswell Ave.*
  • Braddock Rd.
  • Burke Centre Parkway
  • Burke Lake Rd.
  • Carlin Springs Rd.*
  • Centreville Rd.
  • Chain Bridge Rd.
  • Clifton Rd.
  • Columbia Pike
  • Commerce St.*
  • Crosspointe Dr.
  • Dorr Ave.*
  • Dranesville Rd.
  • Edsall Rd.
  • Elm St.*
  • Fairfax County Parkway
  • Fairhaven Ave.*
  • Fair Lakes Pkwy.
  • Fleetwood Rd.*
  • Fordson Rd.*
  • Fort Hunt Rd.
  • Franconia Rd.
  • Franconia Springfield Parkway
  • Frontier Dr.
  • Gallows Rd.
  • Georgetown Pike
  • Great Falls St.
  • Hartland Rd.*
  • Hayfield Rd.
  • Hiddenbrook Dr.
  • Huntsman Blvd.
  • Idylwood Rd.
  • S. Jefferson St.*
  • Jermantown Rd.
  • Juniper St.*
  • Kingstowne Village Parkway
  • Kingstowne Blvd.
  • Kirby Rd.
  • Lawyers Rd.
  • Lewinsville Rd.
  • Lockheed Blvd.*
  • Little River Turnpike
  • Lorton Rd.
  • John Marr Dr.*
  • Merrifield Ave.*
  • Merrilee Dr.*
  • New Braddock Rd.
  • Nolte St.*
  • North Kings Highway
  • North Shore Dr.*
  • Nutley St.
  • Old Chain Bridge Rd.
  • Old Centreville Rd. (between Route 28 & 29)
  • Old Dominion Dr.
  • Old Keene Mill Rd.
  • Old Richmond Hwy*
  • Patrick Henry Dr.*
  • Poplar Tree Rd.
  • Porter Rd.*
  • Prosperity Ave.
  • Ravensworth Rd.
  • Reston Pkwy.
  • Richmond Highway
  • Rolling Rd.
  • Route 7
  • Route 28
  • Route 29
  • Route 50
  • Route 123
  • Seminary Rd.*
  • Sherwood Hall Ln.*
  • Shirley Gate Rd.
  • Silverbrook Rd.
  • South Kings Highway
  • South Lakes Dr.
  • South Van Dorn St.
  • Spring Mall Rd.
  • Springvale Rd.
  • Stringfellow Rd.
  • Sunrise Valley Dr.
  • Sunset Hills Rd.
  • Sydenstricker Rd.
  • Telegraph Rd.
  • Whittier Ave.*
  • Wiehle Ave.
  • Williams Dr.*
  • Willow Oaks Corporate Dr.*
  • Westfields Blvd.
  • Westmoreland Dr.*
  • West Ox Rd. (west of Lawyers Rd)

Resources for Starting a Business

Reports & Publications

The Fairfax County Economic Development Authority (EDA) provides an email digest, newsletter, book, reports and more to help start your business and connect to other local business opportunities.

Guides to Starting a Business

Steps to Start Your Small Business

We want your small business to succeed and our Business Experience Program—known as BizEx for short—can help you.

Contact us early in your visioning process, before you sign a lease or purchase property. BizEx can help you understand the county's regulatory process before you start.

Follow these six steps to get your small business up and running:

For questions about these steps, talk to BizEx for general information about the process, permits and inspections needed—or contact the agencies below for requirements specific to the small business you plan to open.

1. Find or Identify a Location – It’s important to know the proposed location for your business as a first step because there may be zoning rules that apply. Your location may also affect what kind of permits may be needed. (To find a property to locate your business, use resources like online property listings, commercial real estate brokers, etc.


2. Check the zoning for your location – Talk to the Zoning Planner of the Day at 703-324-1290, TTY 711. They will help you understand the zoning for your business location, as well as any zoning limitations for the kind of business you plan to run. For more information, visit the zoning webpage.

If you are thinking about operating your business from your home, you may need a home occupation permit or approval for a home-based professional office.

Zoning may also affect what may be allowed if you plan to lease existing commercial space or construct a new building.


3. Get a Business, Professional and Occupational License – All business owners, including home-based businesses, must get a business, professional and occupation license, called a BPOL license. Businesses must register with the Department of Tax Administration within 75 days of beginning operations in the county, and there is a 10 percent penalty for filing late. For questions or help, contact the Department of Tax Administration by email or call 703-222-8234 (select option 3), TTY 711.


4. Get site and building plan reviews and inspections if needed – If you are disturbing land to construct a new building, or adding onto a building, site plan(s) will be required. If you are constructing a building or renovating an existing space, building plans and permits will be required. To learn if you need a site plan, contact the Engineer of the Day at 703-324-1575, TTY 711.

A building permit is required for most new construction – To learn if you need a building permit, contact the Permit Application Center by email or call 703-222-0801, TTY 711.


5. Apply for a sign permit – If your business will have signage, you must apply for a sign permit. There are specific rules about what kinds of signs are allowed and where they can be placed. To learn more, contact the Zoning Inspections Branch by email or call 703-324-4300, TTY 711.


6. Get a Non-Residential Use Permit – Every business must get a non-residential use permit, known as a non-RUP. To learn more, contact the Zoning Permit Review Branch at 703-222-1082, TTY 711.

Restaurant Start Up Guide

Our new guide will help you open a restaurant in Fairfax County. It contains information about key steps needed to build a new commercial space or take over or renovate an existing one.


Codes and Standards

Language Translation

Note: Please be aware that while using translation service in Firefox browser, the page layout may not render accurately.

Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations

By using the translation service, you are asking for pages on this site to be converted into a language other than English. As with any machine translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not fully convert text into its intended meaning. Fairfax County Government cannot guarantee the accuracy of the converted text nor are we liable for any resulting issues. Graphics with text, PDF files and special applications on this site cannot be translated.

The County codes, regulations, procedures, and other documents are written in English because that is the official language of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Translations of documents into other languages are being offered as a convenience to those who live and work in the County and to those who visit the County. If there is any discrepancy between an English version of a document and a translated version, then the English version will take precedence.





Moving to Fairfax

My Neighborhood

My Neighborhood is an Internet mapping and information reporting application. It shows what features and county facilities/parks are available in and around a specific street address. Each resident also has two representative supervisors -- the chairman and a district supervisor.


To find your district, enter your address, click search and then click "My Neighborhood Report.


Click here to find your neighborhood

Emergency Phone Numbers

Police, Fire and Ambulance (emergency): 911, TTY 911

Police, Fire and Ambulance (nonemergency): 703-691-2131, TTY 703-204-2264

Poison Control: 202-625-3333, TTY 202-362-8563

Flooding: 703-691-2131, TTY 703-204-2264

Sewer Line Breaks or Emergencies: 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498

General Phone Numbers

County information: 703-FAIRFAX (703-324-7329), TTY 711


Court information: 703-691-7320, TTY 711


School information: 703-204-6725, TTY 711


Tax information: 703-222-8234, TTY 711


Online directory