All dogs four months of age or older must be licensed. Licenses are good for the calendar year in which they are issued and expire on December 31st. New licenses must be purchased by February 1st.
All dog license tags are $10. License tags are issued free of charge for service dogs that assist residents who are visually impaired, deaf, or need mobility assistance.
License Tags May Be Purchased as Follows:
- Complete & print the Dog License Application.
- Make check payable to the “County of Fairfax.”
- Provide the current certificate of rabies vaccination.
- Send all documentation to:
Department of Tax Administration
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223
Fairfax, VA 22035
- The rabies vaccination date must be current to purchase a dog license.
- Provide the information requested in the online application.
- Only one dog tag can be processed per transaction.
- Service fees may apply.
- Bring a completed copy of the Dog License Application and a current certificate of rabies vaccination.
- Make check payable to the "County of Fairfax."
- Visit one of the following locations:
- The Department of Tax Administration at 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax walk-in traffic Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or
- The Animal Shelter at 4500 West Ox Road, Fairfax between noon and 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays only, November 7, 2020 through January 31, 2021. For more information on purchase requirements, visit: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/animalshelter/animal-shelter-operations-update-covid-19
Taxpayers who have purchased license tags in the prior years will automatically receive a yearly renewal application form in the mail during the month of November.