Residents and businesses of Fairfax County are encouraged to present their views on issues of concern to the chairman or their district supervisor at any time.
Board Public Hearings
At regularly scheduled Board meetings, several public hearings may be scheduled, including public comment time, which is generally the last public hearing of the day. The Board will hear public comment on any issue except: issues under litigation; issues that have been scheduled for public hearing before the Board; personnel matters or comments regarding individuals.
All public comment speakers are given 3 minutes each to testify, with a maximum total number of 10 speakers to be heard per public comment time. Public comment speakers may address the Board only once during a six-month period. All other public hearings allow for speakers to have 3 minutes to testify if speaking as an individual and 5 minutes if speaking on behalf of an organization.
The Office of the Clerk to the Board maintains the public record of the Code of the County of Fairfax. The county code contains all county ordinances - the legislation enacted by municipal authority.
Clerk to the Board Responsibilities
- Establishing and maintaining records of Board meetings.
- Preserving records of the Board's actions.
- Providing research assistance of Board actions.
- Certifying Board action on resolutions, ordinances, etc.
- Providing formal notifications to applicants of Board decisions on land use applications.
- Managing public records of citizen appointments to Boards, Authorities and Commissions.
- Maintaining the public record of the County Code.
- Maintaining financial disclosure statements filed by County officials.
- Providing administrative support through agency budget preparation, procurement actions, and personnel and payroll actions to the ten offices of the Board.