Fairfax County Health Department permits and inspects the following public establishments:
- Religiously Exempt Child Care
- Swimming Pools
- Tourist (Hotels, Campgrounds, Summer Camps)
Private Wells and Septic Systems
The Health Department also is responsible for overseeing installation, maintenance and monitoring of private wells and septic systems to protect public health.
Massage Establishment and Massage Therapist Licenses
Massage establishments are licensed by the Fairfax County Department of Cable and Consumer Services. Please contact that department for information about permitting.
Apply for or Renew a Health Permit
You may apply for a permit online or by using the forms below.
Apply by Mail/In Person/Email/Fax
Mail your application or deliver your application in-person to our office at:
Fairfax County Health Department
Division of Environmental Health
10777 Main Street, Suite 100
Fairfax, VA 22030
Send your application by email to email@example.com, or fax it to 703-653-9448.
Forms of Payment Accepted
We accept cash, checks, Visa, Master Card, and Discover. Please call our Customer Service Center at 703-246-2201 to make the payment by credit card.
Applications and Forms
The forms provided on this page are in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view or print them, you will need to download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you do not find the application or form you are looking for on this page or are experiencing difficulty accessing it, please contact our Customer Service Center via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-246-2201.
- Permitting and plan review information for food establishments, temporary events, mobile food service units, etc.
Onsite Well and Septic
- Permit Application for Onsite Sewage Disposal System and Well
- Individual Sewage Disposal System Permit Application/Certification Letter
- Commercial Plan Review Application
- Application for Registration of Individual Well Water System Contractor
- Application for Registration of Individual Sewage Disposal Contractor
- Application for Registration of Sewage Handling Contractor
- Application for Registration of Portable Toilet Facilities
- Request for a Routine Water Sample
- Application for an Evaluation of Existing Well Water and/or Sewage Disposal Systems
Religiously Exempt Child Care Facilities
- Requirements for Proposed Public Swimming Pool Facility: Bathhouse Pool Plans Only | Pool Plans Only.
The Health Department does not issue permits or inspect private residential pools, spas and hot tubs. Please visit the Land Development Services website for more information about permits for residential pools.
Tourist Establishments (hotels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, summer camps, etc.)
Renew Your Health Permit
An annual operational permit from the Health Department must be obtained prior to opening a public facility for use or to continue operations.
The seasonal swimming pools operate from May to October, and the year round pool permit expires on December 31.
Religiously Exempt Child Care permits expire on September 30.
If you have misplaced your renewal application or have not received it in the mail, you may request it via email at email@example.com or call our Customer Service Center at 703-246-2201.
The following health permits can be renewed online:
- Public Swimming Pools
- Religiously Exempt Child Care