8 a.m. — 4 p.m. (M-Th); 9:15 a.m. — 4 p.m. (F)
12055 Government Center Pkwy., 2nd Floor, Fairfax VA 22035
Contact the Permit Application Center by phone at 703-222-0801, TTY 711 or Email.
A building permit is a document, required by state law, granting legal permission to start construction on a project. This law is enforced by Fairfax County in the permitting, plan review and inspection processes.
Obtaining a Permit
A completed permit application is required to start the process of getting your permit. Applying for your permit can be done in person at 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 230, Fairfax, VA, or many permit types can be applied for online.
- When a Permit is Required
- Permit Process
- Start to Finish Video
- Hiring a Contractor
- Building Codes and Standards
Drawings, plats, site-related plans and other documentation may be required. See Agency Reviews below for more details.
In order to determine if your project is in compliance with construction codes, the zoning ordinance and other county or state ordinances, other agency reviews may be necessary, depending on your project.
- Do I need a grading plan?
- Site Development
- Status of Site-Related Plans and Waivers
- More on the Land Development Process...
Building Plan Review
- What are the submission requirements for my plans?
- What are the current review times?
- I submitted my plan. What were the reviewer's comments?
- More Building Plan Review information...
- I am connecting to the county sewer. What do I need to know?
- Industrial Waste Discharge Limits/Regulations
- More on Wastewater Review...
- My house is on well or septic.
- I am opening a restaurant.
- What do I need to do with my commercial pool?
- More on the Health Department...
- Fire Protection Systems Plan Review & Inspections
- Plans for Site Review
- Operational Permit Review
- Non-Residential Use Permit Occupancy Inspections
- More Information
Many project publications are available online that detail documents required, whether a building plan is required and other pertinent project information.
- Schedule, Change or Cancel an Inspection online or call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
- Check Inspection Status: by permit | by address
- Scheduling use permits (certificates of occupancy):
- Residential (RUPs): call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
- Non-residential (nonRUPs): call 703-222-1082, TTY 711
- After-Hour Electrical Inspections are available at additional cost and can be requested by filling out this online form at least 48 hours prior to the inspection date. If you have questions, call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
- Commercial Third Party Inspections Program is available for most commercial inspections. Learn more or call 703-631-5101, TTY.
- Cross connection inspections are performed periodically on all commercial properties. For more information, use the Backflow Notice of Inspection form, see the list of Backflow Prevention Device Testers, email staff or call 703-631-5101, TTY.
- Elevator and escalator inspections must be inspected twice a year. More information on the Elevator Program.
- Residential foundation inspections are available to pre-approved registered design professionals in-lieu of a county inspector and can be requested by calling 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
- The Special Inspections Program requires owners of qualifying projects to retain a registered design professional to conduct inspections of building elements requiring special expertise. Learn more or call 703-631-5101, TTY.