Write a business plan. See the U.S. Small Business Administration's write a business plan page for a free template.
Meet with free business counselors to review your business plan and to get advice. You can arrange a free meeting with a SCORE Mentor through the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority or the Community Business Partnership.
Research your available resources to help you start, open or grow your business.
View the Resource Grid, which provides an overview of available resources. Then explore the additional resources below to connect with the local business community .
Economic Development Authority (EDA)
- Attend the EDA's free Entrepreneurship 101: Starting a Business in Fairfax County workshop, and learn about the services offered by the Economic Development Authority and their partner agencies. The class is free, but pre-registration is required.
- The EDA provides reports and publications, including an email digest newsletter, book and more, to help start your business and connect to other local business opportunities.
- For an additional overview of the process of starting a business, see the EDA's Small Business Start-Up Guide.
- Community Business Partnership
- Fairfax County Public Library - Business Research
- George Mason University Small Business Development Center
- Small Business Commission
- Virginia Dept. of Small Business and Supplier Diversity
- Virginia Small Business Development Center
- Virginia Small Business Financing Authority