Starting a Business: Business-Specific Guidance

Some specific business types have different, or additional, requirements. The industry-specific guides on this page will assist you in determining all your needs.

Business-Specific Licenses, Permits and Taxes

Some professions are also regulated by the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR).

As part of the county's permitting process, you may be required to demonstrate that you have your required professional license. In addition to a BPOL license and Business Tangible Property taxes, certain businesses are subject to additional licenses or permits, as noted below:


Information for Prospective Contractors

This guide provides information for prospective contractors in Fairfax County. Any project valued at $1,000 or more must be performed by a contractor licensed to work in Virginia. Journeyman and Masters (electricians, plumbers or mechanical contractors) can do work under $1,000 per contract without a state contractor’s license.

Restaurant Start Up Guide

Our guide will help you open a restaurant in Fairfax County. It contains information about key steps needed to build a new commercial space or take over or renovate an existing one.

Contact BizEx for Help

We want your small business to succeed and our Business Experience Program—known as BizEx for short—can help you.

Call BizEx at 703-324-2694, TTY 711 or email BizEx.

If your phone call isn't answered right away, please leave a message or send an email. We aim to respond to your call or email before the end of the day.

If you need assistance in a language other than English, please set up an appointment in advance.