UPDATED Sept. 30: Metro Extends Closure South of Reagan National Airport Until Nov. 5
A section of the Metrorail Blue and Yellow Lines in Virginia will be under construction Sept. 10- Nov. 5 in order to connect the new Potomac Yard station to the system. Additionally, there will be an 8-month shutdown of the Yellow Line between Pentagon and L’Enfant Plaza for tunnel and bridge rehabilitation work.
Metrorail Service Impacts
- North of Reagan National Airport Metrorail Station: no Yellow Line service north of the Reagan National Airport: use Blue or Green Lines.
- South of Reagan National Airport Metrorail Station: no rail service south of Reagan National Airport from Sept. 10 - Nov. 5.
Free Metrobus shuttles will be provided, connecting to all affected stations. During construction, Metro is removing the usual $4.95 parking fees, providing free parking at the following Metrorail garages: Van Dorn Street, Franconia-Springfield and Huntington.
Blue & Yellow Line construction begins 9/10. Here are more travel alternatives:— Metro (@wmata) July 28, 2022
🚌Free Metroway bus service
🚗Free parking at Franconia-Springfield, Van Dorn St and Huntington stations
🚗Waived non-rider parking fee at Franconia-Springfield Stationhttps://t.co/zcBX1Z4QJz #wmata pic.twitter.com/zcIGp8RWoj
Fairfax Connector Service Impacts
All Fairfax Connector routes remain the same.
- However, instead of transferring from a Connector bus to Metrorail, Connector passengers who arrive at one of the closed stations will instead board a free shuttle bus.
- Also, where passengers get on/off might change slightly at these four Metrorail stations: Huntington, Van Dorn Street, Franconia-Springfield, and Crystal City.
- The Saratoga and Backlick Park and Rides have excess capacity with plenty of free parking for people to park and ride Fairfax Connector Routes 394 and 396 and for those who wish to carpool.
Alternate Travel Options
Fare-Free Rail Service
- BRT Metroway-Potomac Yard Line (service between the Braddock Road, Crystal City, and Pentagon City stations through October 22)
- Virginia Railway Express (entire system is free in September, continued at 6 stations in October)
Ridesharing and More
For other travel options such as ridesharing visit Fairfax County Commuter Services to learn about services and programs.