During hot days, here are eight quick tips to stay cool and look after others.
- Drink plenty of water, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Stay inside and out of the heat if possible. Save the yard work for another day or time.
- Visit indoor locations during operating hours to stay cool:
- Community Centers
- REC Centers
- Fairfax County Government Center
- Our homeless shelters are available for people experiencing homelessness
- Local mall or store
- Know the symptoms of heat-related illness. Heat stroke is an emergency, so call or text 9-1-1.
- Check on people with vulnerabilities in our community who may need help responding to the heat.
- Never leave children, the elderly or pets alone in a car.
- Fans create air flow, but give a false sense of comfort and they do not reduce body temperature. Stay hydrated and take other steps to get cool.
- Our Department of Emergency Management and Security has information online about extreme heat, including important terms to know.