How can I stay safe?
Personal safety is not a police issue: it is everyone’s responsibility. Knowing how to keep yourself safe and to avoid becoming a victim of crime is critical, no matter where you work or live.
Personal Safety Tips everyone should know include:
- Stay alert - Be aware of your surroundings
- Be confident - Walk with confidence and purpose
- Trust your instincts - Learn to trust intuition and react to unsettled feelings
- Carry a cell phone
- Alert family/friends to your travel plans and when you may be home
- Have an escort, if possible
- Avoid carrying large sums of money
- Report suspicious people or activity to police
- Walk in well-lit, populated areas; avoid cut-through paths
- Avoid walking near hedges or bushes.
- Before leaving a bus/rail station, observe others
- Lock car doors
- Park in well-lit areas
- Keep hands free, if possible
- Stay alert
- Have your keys in hand, ready to go
- Get into vehicle and lock your door immediately