VDOT Plow Tracker
Northern Virginia roads are divided into 626 snow maps. Use the Virginia Department of Transportation's snow plow tracker (activated when there's 2+ inches of snow) to check the status of your road and see what's been cleared.
If a street within a townhouse, condominium or business complex is not posted with a state route number, then it is a private street. Snow removal is the responsibility of the property management company or homeowners association.
It takes a whole community to shovel snow. While not legally obligated, we need your help to clear snow in front of residential or business properties so that all pedestrians (especially school children, those with disabilities and the elderly), may walk safely.
8 Places to Consider Shoveling Snow
Get those snow shovels and blowers ready to tackle these recommended spots in your neighborhood:
- The sidewalk in front of your home
- The sidewalk in front of vacant homes or homes where residents are unable to shovel
- Fire hydrants
- Bus stops (there are more than 4,000 in the county!)
- Sidewalks/paths that lead to schools or community buildings where snow has been removed
- Bike trails
- Storm drains
- Parking identified as accessible spaces for people with disabilities