Who to Contact About Downed Trees and Wires

Published on
downed tree in fairfax county


If a tree falls, then who do you call? Here’s a list of who to contact if you see a downed tree or wires:

1.) Life-Threatening

  • If there’s an immediate life-safety issue, call or text 9-1-1.
  • If a tree falls into your home:
    1. Get everyone safely out of your house. Use your cellphone or go to a neighbor’s house and call 9-1-1.
    2. Stay away from the home until public safety employees can access your home for structural safety (as well as ensuring your utilities are OK or should be turned off.)
    3. Only after all of these safety measures should you then call your insurance company.

2.) Power Lines

3.) Roads

4.) Sidewalks

5.) Fairfax County Government/Parks/Schools

  • County Government buildings: 703-324-2055, TTY 711
  • Fairfax County Park Authority property: 703-324-8594, TTY 711 or report online
  • Fairfax County Public Schools property: 703-764-2429, TTY 711

6.) Private Property

  • Removal is the property owner’s responsibility. We suggest direct communication with your neighbor, then we recommend contacting a professional, licensed arborist to inspect the tree. The county has no authority in civil issues like downed trees.

7.) Posing Hazard to Public Areas

  • Contact Fairfax County Urban Forestry at 703-324-1770, TTY 703-324-1877.

Stay Connected

newscenter logo - three circles - red, blue and graySIGN UP FOR DAILY EMAIL HEADLINES



Latest Official Tweets

Fairfax Virtual Assistant