Snow sure looks pretty, but it must be shoveled -- safely.
- If you or someone you are with begins to have chest discomfort, especially with one or more of the other signs of a heart attack, call or text 9-1-1 right away.
- If you have a history of heart disease do not shovel without your doctor’s OK.
- Take breaks while shoveling and do not overexert yourself, especially if you are usually inactive. Shovel small amounts of snow at a time. Push the snow instead of lifting where possible.
- Use proper form if lifting is necessary: keeping your back straight and lift with your legs.
- Avoid shoveling under snow-covered trees and roof lines due to possibly falling limbs, ice and snow.
- Dress in layers and wear warm clothing.