Red, white and blue bunting, flags, fireworks, picnics, parades and warm weather – it’s the Fourth of July and we are so ready to celebrate the long holiday weekend! But, before you grab that box of sparklers, read these 5 things to know for the holiday:
- If you are planning to buy fireworks, you should know that only certain fireworks are permissible to use in our county.
- Keep all bystanders at least 25 feet away from fireworks and children should be supervised closely.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
Read more safety tips and watch this video:
- Saturday, July 2: Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton is hosting an Independence Day celebration with art exhibits, food trucks, local craft beer and wine, live music and a fireworks show. Parking is $10.
- Monday, July 4: Spend the day at Lake Fairfax Park in Reston and enjoy swimming, boat rides, puppet shows, food vendors, live music and fireworks. Parking is $5.
If you or a friend have had too much alcohol to drink, hopefully you’ve already designated a driver. If there’s no designated driver available, then call SoberRide for a free ride home available from July 4 at 10 p.m. until July 5 at 4 a.m.
- Call 1-800-200-TAXI (1-800-200-8294)
- Call between 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Rides are free up to a $30 maximum fare
- Riders must be 21 years old
- You cannot reserve a SoberRide or schedule a pickup in advance
The SafeTrack program will take a break for July 4, though it resumes after the holiday. Connector is also offering special late night service on the 4th.
— Fairfax Connector (@ffxconnector) June 29, 2016