Remember when mom told you it’s a beautiful day, go outside and play?
Our Library is doing the same, but one-upping mom by loaning free nature-themed backpacks so kids of all ages can enjoy the outdoors and learn about nature and science. It is a great outside activity for families and groups, such as scouts and other youth organizations.
Take a look at what is inside each backpack:
- A parking pass that allows the library customer to visit any one of 36 Virginia State Parks at no cost
- You can also use the backpacks at one of our county parks, always free to our residents
- Pocket guides: Edible Wild Plants, Medicinal Plants and Weather
- Tarp and paracord
- Big Foot Leave No Trace Ethics Card
- Port-a-bug field observation container
- Dip net and magnifying lens
- Learn & Live outdoor skills card
- Other nifty things like star charts and activity guides
- The backpacks are available for a two-week loan period. You can put a hold on them, just like with books.
- You will be asked to fill out a six question evaluation form, so our Library and the Library of Virginia can evaluate the success of the program.
- You will need to return all the contents in the backpack, including the Virginia state park pass.