After more than two months and thousands of votes, our readers have settled the debate over the best novel ever written. Gone with the Wind outlasted 99 other works of fiction and earned the title of Fairfax County’s favorite book after defeating To Kill a Mockingbird in the final round by a 66%-34% margin.
Now it’s time to see how your votes stack up against the national Great American Read competition presented by Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). Its eight-episode series concludes with its final episode on Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 8 p.m., which you can watch on our local PBS station, WETA TV 26.
Gone with the Wind (The Classics Quadrant)
- Round 1 – Bye
- Round 2 – Defeated Call of the Wild (65%-35%)
- Round of 32 – Defeated Frankenstein (69%-31%)
- Round of 16 – Defeated Jane Eyre and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (44%-26%-30%)
- Round of 8 – Defeated Pride and Prejudice (64%-36%)
- Final 5 – Defeated The Color Purple and The Wheel of Time (64%-7%-29%)
- Final 2 – Defeated To Kill a Mockingbird (66%-34%)
Click the image to view a larger bracket (then click “View full size”)