Operating Status for Department of Family Services (DFS) Programs and Services – Skip the Trip and Get Assistance from a Distance Online or By Phone
DFS cares about the safety and well-being of individuals and families and we are still here for you. Although most of our services are not being provided in-person at this time, we continue to offer services online and by phone.
Skip the trip! Learn more about DFS' Assistance from a Distance – a variety of services available to you without having to leave the safety of your home.
- Child Protective Services (CPS)
- Parent Support Line, Kinship Navigation Line
- Parenting Tips, Videos and Podcasts
- Virtual Classes and Support
- Adult Protective Services (APS)
- Aging, Disability and Caregiver Resources
- Meals on Wheels
- Services and Resources for People with Disabilities
- Domestic and Sexual Violence 24-Hour Hotline
- Advocacy Services
- Hospital Accompaniment
- Apply Online for SNAP, Medicaid and more!
- Ways to Turn in Your Documents
- Other Ways to Receive Help
- Career/Employment Services
Stay connected with us:
- Follow our Facebook page @FairfaxCountyFamilyServices.
- Subscribe to Community Corner for our weekly posts.
Get the most up-to-date information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Fairfax County.
Learn About Our Programs and Services
Child Care Assistance
Children and Families
The Children, Youth and Families Division includes programs designed to protect children from harm, prevent child abuse and neglect, support families, and help them remain together safely for the long-term emotional and physical health of the children.
Domestic and Sexual Violence Services
The Domestic and Sexual Violence Services Division Provides a 24-hour crisis hotline, advocacy, information, counseling, resources, and emergency shelter for victims and survivors of domestic and sexual violence, stalking, and human trafficking. Services available for adults, teens, and children who have been affected by these types of abuse.
Employment and Training
Employment and training helps connect job seekers with employment and training opportunities through one-stop employment resource centers locally known as Virginia Career Works Centers. Offers employment workshops, occupational skills training, and job search assistance.
Financial and Medical Assistance
Financial and medical assistance helps individuals and families with low income apply for and receive help (Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), etc.) to meet basic needs and attain self-sufficiency.
The Adult & Aging Division provides services and education to older adults, adults with disabilities, and family caregivers. Programs maximize safety and independence, as well as enhance family and social supports, with an emphasis on community education and volunteer resources.
People with Disabilities
We promote the self-sufficiency and well-being of people with disabilities through advocacy, education, and consultation regarding legal rights and protections, solution management, and by connecting people to resources and services.
Volunteer and Donate
Programs and Services Phone Numbers and Hotlines
Department of Family Services Main Number and Public Assistance Customer Care 703-324-7500; TTY 703-222-9452
Department of Family Services Hotlines (Available 24 Hours)
- Child Protective Services Hotline 703-324-7400
- Domestic & Sexual Violence Hotline 703-360-7273; TTY 711
- Adult Protective Services Hotline 703-324-7450; TTY 711
Other Department of Family Services Phone Numbers
- Aging, Disability & Caregiver Resources 703-324-7948; TTY 703-449-1186
- Office for Children 703-324-8100; TTY 711
- Medicaid Fraud 866-486-1971
- Welfare Fraud 703-324-7564
Outside of Department of Family Services Phone Numbers
- Artemis House (Shelter for Victims of Domestic Violence) 703-435-4940; TTY 711
- Short-Term, Emergency Help for Basic Needs (Fairfax County Human Services, Coordinated Services Planning) 703-222-0880; TTY 711
Department of Family Services Email
Have Questions? If you have basic questions about the Department of Family Services, please send an email.
For media inquiries, contact Department of Family Services' Public Information Officer Amy Carlini by email, office phone 703-324-7758 or mobile phone 571-355-6672.
This agency is a part of the Fairfax County Health & Human Services System (HHS). The HHS System is a network of county agencies and community partners that support the well-being of all who live, work and play in Fairfax County. Learn more about Fairfax County HHS.