What's New Now: May 2021
Inaugural Tour de Hunter Mill May 15
NEW! More registrations are open to participate in the first-ever Tour de Hunter Mill. Sign up now if you are interested in participating in this fun community bike ride. Grab your bike and join us on Saturday, May 15. The three routes include:
- Family Route that is less than five miles, contained almost entirely within the Reston Association pathway system.
- Long Route with Metro Option: 15 miles. This route takes the W&OD to Vienna for the first rest stop, then takes quiet roads and trails over to the Spring Hill Metro station in Tysons Corner.
- Long Route no Metro: 20 miles. This route takes the W&OD to Vienna for the first rest stop, then takes quiet roads and trails over to the Spring Hill Metro station in Tysons Corner for the second rest stop. From there the route uses paved trails, quiet roads, and roads with bike infrastructure to return to the W&OD and ride back to Reston to Hunters Woods.
FY 2022 Budget
On April 27, the Board of Supervisor approved the markup of the proposed FY 2022 Budget, which is scheduled for a final vote Tuesday, May 4. Difficult decisions were made and while the board did not go along with my recommendation for another dedicated half penny for affordable housing, getting the equivalent of that amount from federal recovery funding is a good start. More details are below and as always, your comments and questions are welcome. Contact my office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a quick summary of what was approved and you can watch the meeting here.
- 1% pay increase for county employees.
- $15 million more for the Fairfax County Public Schools Operating Fund transfer to support compensation increases for FCPS employees.
- Funding to provide salary supplements for state employees, including Office of the Public Defender support staff and probation and parole officers.
- The budget maintains the one-cent tax rate reduction proposed in the original FY 2022 Advertised Budget Plan, down from $1.15 in FY 2021 to $1.14 in FY 2022.
Once adopted, the FY 2022 Budget becomes effective July 1, 2021. Learn more about the budget.
Early Voting Underway for June 8 Democratic Primary
Three locations are open for early voting for the June 8 Democratic Primary:
- North County Governmental Center (Reston)
- Fairfax County Government Center
- Mount Vernon Governmental Center
Any registered Fairfax County voter can vote early, and can cast their ballot at any early voting site. Learn more.
Video Archives of Hunter Mill District Meetings
- Videos of several community meetings are available to watch on Supervisor Alcorn's YouTube Channel.