What's New Now: Fall 2023
Fall/Winter 2023 Events:
- Park Events
- Library Events
- Reston Community Center Calendar
- Town of Vienna Calendar
- Visit Fairfax Events
Nov. 8, 2023 Statement:
Thank you for re-electing me to represent you for another four years – every day I am reminded that it is a privilege to serve this engaged and involved community. Having served through the last four years has also given me a new perspective and appreciation for all that we have and the difference your involvement makes in moving us forward. Just a few highlights include:
- The Updated Reston Comprehensive Plan, a gargantuan effort by community members and stakeholders to ensure that as Reston grows and prospers it stays true to its historic principles for decades to come.
- Pedestrian and Bike Safety Projects have been one of my top priorities because of your feedback. The Wiehle Avenue Study is moving forward, and the Wiehle Avenue at the W&OD Trail Pedestrian Improvement Project is underway. The Speed Camera Pilot Program in school and work zones is expanding and the county has a coordinated year-round traffic safety communications plan. And much more to come as there is so much to do on this front.
- High quality Affordable Housing is essential for high quality and equitable communities. Although we still have much work to do here as well, we are making headway with projects such as the new Lake Anne House in Reston and the Dominion Square West project underway in Tysons. More is needed and additional affordable housing opportunities are being explored in some of our older dedicated affordable housing communities where complete building renovations or redevelopment will be necessary.
- The Co-Responder Partnership between the Police Department and the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board is expanding and will eventually ensure that residents experiencing a behavioral health crisis receive the care and resources they need – and avoid unnecessary arrest.
Coming up soon:
- Rebuild both the Patrick Henry Library in Vienna and the Reston Regional Library in Reston Town Center North.
- Redevelop and expand the aging Embry Rucker Shelter in Reston Town Center North.
- Work through the Reston Site-Specific Plan Amendment (SSPA) Process and ensure that any proposals that move forward are also good for the community.
- Continue work to ensure that a casino is not built in Hunter Mill District.
- Expand efforts to diversify our economy with more start-up, makerspace, and product-based companies to reduce our regional dependence on the federal government and answer economic arguments made by casino proponents.
- Secure other local revenue sources to reduce the County’s dependence on local property taxes.
There is a lot more to come in the next four years and my staff and I are excited to continue to serve you! If you have questions or concerns, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Video Archives of Hunter Mill District Meetings
- Videos of several community meetings are available to watch on Supervisor Alcorn's YouTube Channel.