Planning, Permitting and Construction

CONTACT INFORMATION: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Permitting Business Hours: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (M-Th), 9:15 a.m. - 4 p.m. (F)
703-324-1780 TTY 711
12055 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035
Multiple Development Agency Directors

Hospitality Industry COVID-19 Assistance

man holding credit card while on laptopOn July 27, 2021, the Board of Supervisors adopted an uncodified ordinance allowing a reduction in development-related fees for the hospitality industry. This webpage provides applicants from the hospitality industry an opportunity to apply for eligibility for the fee reduction related to permits and transactions processed by Land Development Services.

Please see the July 27, 2021, Board of Supervisors Board Package for the adopted uncodified ordinance and Board Item explaining the history and timeline of the uncodified ordinance.

Because various hospitality uses were especially impacted by the COVID-19 emergency, the Board has authorized a reduction of certain zoning and development fees for the following businesses as they work to reestablish, reconfigure or expand their spaces during the emergency and its aftermath:

  • Hotel
  • Motel
  • Restaurant
  • Catering establishment
  • Craft Beverage Establishment
  • Indoor Commercial Recreation Establishment
  • Health and Exercise Facility, Small
  • Health and Exercise Facility, Large

Land Development Services (LDS) will collect 35% of the initial building permit submission fee, as per Appendix Q, Section I.B(F); and the remaining 65% of fees, which is charged prior to issuance of the building permit, will be waived. All associated resubmissions and trades permits will not be reduced, incentivizing the applicant to submit quality plans ready for approval on the first submission. Site-related fees are also proposed to be reduced by 65%, as are Fire Marshal fees for initial architectural plan review. Other Fire Marshal fees would continue to be charged in full—for review of shop drawings, resubmissions, acceptance testing, inspections and after-hours plan reviews and inspections. LDS fees will be reduced for all eligible permits, plan reviews and inspections; however, wastewater fixture unit fees, bonding and agreements amounts and approved proffer amounts will not be reduced by this ordinance. The ordinance does not to apply to any town—Clifton, Herndon or Vienna—unless and until the town’s governing body, by ordinance, decides to be subject to the ordinance.

An LDS Project Manager has been assigned as a point of contact for the hospitality industry for the duration of the uncodified ordinance, to answer questions and provide guidance in navigating the land development process, as an additional resource. To request support from the LDS Project Manager assigned to this effort, or to apply for a fee reduction, please complete the form.

The Department of Planning and Development (DPD) will also reduce fees for Special Exception (SE) and Special Permit (SP) applications for the uses listed above. If you are planning to file an SE/SEA or SP/SPA application for one of these uses, please contact the Applications Acceptance section of the Zoning Evaluation Division at 703-324-1290, TTY 711, for direction prior to submitting your application.

Questions?  Email or call 703-324-1780, TTY 711

Fairfax Virtual Assistant