RSV is very contagious, virtually all children get an RSV infection by the time they are 2 years old.
Most people who get an RSV infection will have mild illness and will recover in a week or two. However, some groups are more likely to get serious complications if they get sick with RSV. These include:
- Premature infants
- Very young infants (6 months and younger)
- Young children with congenital (from birth) heart or chronic lung disease
- Young children with weakened immune systems due to a medical condition or medical treatment
- Adults with compromised immune systems
- Older adults (65 years and older)