There are five steps for handling door-to-door solicitors.
1. Be Aware. All are Strangers, Some are Scammers.
2. Request and verify solicitor and contractor licenses:
• Solicitor Licenses – Call the county at 703-324-5966, TTY 711.
• Contractor License – Call the state at 804-367-8511, TTY 711.
• No license? Call police non-emergency at 703-691-2131, TTY 711.
3. Take your time. Seek second opinions. Check references.
4. Request for written scope of work and cost estimates. Review agreements carefully.
5. Never pay more than 30 percent of total before work is done. Pay via credit