Fairfax County is home to thousands of retirees with good pensions and retirement savings. Criminals know this. The county’s new Silver Shield Campaign works to protect older adults by sharing critical information to help them avoid being scammed.
For more information about Fairfax County's Silver Shield Anti Scam initiative or to request a community presentation, email Fairfax County Silver Shield.
Learn About the Campaign and Handling Door-to-Door Solicitors
Silver Shield Anti-Scam Campaign News Conference, September 13. Watch now!
- Be Aware. Solicitors are strangers. If you talk with them, do not allow them in your home.
- Verify Credentials.
- Call the County Regulation and Licensing Branch at 703-324-5966, TTY 711 to check solicitor licenses;
- Call the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation at 804-367-8511 to check the contractor licenses.
- Take Your Time. Review options and seek a second opinion.
- Review Agreements. Request a complete copy of scope of work with cost estimate. Review agreement thoroughly before you sign.
- Ask Questions. Always ask questions, check references and seek advice when needed.
- Find advice on hiring a home services contractor.
- Find what you need to know about door-to-door solicitors.
- Report scams and unlicensed solicitors to the Fairfax County Police Non-Emergency Line.
- Find more consumer information from the county’s Consumer Affairs Branch.
- Keep abreast of current scams against older adults – subscribe to the county's monthly Golden Gazette.
- Follow the Federal Trade Commission’s Scam Alerts Page.