Application Process: Application for a Fairfax County Park Authority Permit must be submitted no less than thirty (30) working days prior to the event.
Beginning January 1, 2019
- If an application is submitted less than 29 business days, but a minimum of 10 business days before the event date, a $25 late charge will be applied. Late applications may be denied if FCPA determines that there is insufficient preparation time for any aspect of the event. The applicant is not charged if the event is not approved.
- Any permit application must be approved before a permit will be provided and the event can take place. The late charge will be assessed based on the date of request, not the date of approval.
- Late application charge will not be applied to First Amendment Special Permit Applications.
- With 10 business days or less notice before the event date (or 1st date on permit), a group is not eligible to receive a permit.
Applications for events that are large in size, and/or include the use of amplified sound systems must be submitted at least forty–five (45) working days prior to the event date.
What would you like to do?
You must apply for a Business Activity License if you would like to hold any activity that uses Park Authority Property for the purpose of generating revenue, including but not limited to: selling items, collecting fees for an event, requesting/soliciting donations, holding classes or camps. If you are planning on having a race, please submit a race route with your application. Please use the Park Use Application.
- A business activity fee of 15% of the gross revenue or $50, whichever is greater will be charged. The fee is due one month after your event, or monthly for ongoing use.
- A financial statement with the balance due will be provided with your permit and must be completed and returned to the Park Authority one month after your event (or monthly for long-term usage).
- The group is responsible for indicating its gross revenue on the financial statement and determining the payment due. (Facility rental fees required for your event are subtracted from the gross revenue, and the $50 deposit is deducted from the final payment amount.)
- If the financial statement is not returned by the due date, whether or not any additional fees are due, an additional late fee of $50 or 10% of the amount due will be charged to the group.
- A current Certificate of General Liability insurance coverage listing the ‘Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Fairfax County Park Authority and its officers, employees, and volunteers’ as "additional insured" on the policy may be required.
- All vendors are responsible for collecting and paying applicable state sales tax.
- All food vendors are responsible for contacting the Fairfax County Health Department (703-246-2444) to arrange for permits and inspections.
$50 or 15% of gross revenue, whichever is greater. The $50, non-refundable minimum deposit must be submitted at the time of application.
One application and fee due per park, regardless of the number of features requested from the list below. Please use the Park Use Application.
- You are requesting features such as a moon bounce, dunk tank, carnival rides, or pony rides, etc. at an event on Park Authority property, regardless of the size of the group.
- You want to have a "public gathering", such as a demonstration, picketing, speech making, vigils, parades, ceremonies, meetings, rallies, entertainment, games, shows, concerts, and all other forms of public assembly.
- You would like to sponsor or arrange a public gathering of more than 75 persons upon property, or 25 persons upon trails.
- You are planning to conduct any Organized Activity in a Natural Area on property owned or operated by the Fairfax County Park Authority, regardless of group size. Activities include, but are not limited to: Scientific research, Scientific monitoring, Habitat enhancement (i.e. Nest Boxes) Educational programs or classes, Orienteering, Search and rescue training, Athletic events or fitness training, Weddings, any use after dark (i.e. stargazing or wildlife surveys) Supplemental Form for the Use of a Natural Area must accompany the Park Use Permit Application.
Fees: Nonrefundable application fee of $25 must be paid at the time the application is submitted.
Athletic fields may be reserved only for the sport for which they were designed. Please use the Park Use Application.
- An hourly rental fee is required in order to receive a permit.
- Athletic fields can be requested using this application for rental times Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (except holidays) and for any for-profit use. For use outside of these times for non-profit groups, please call 703-324-5533 or visit Athletic Services and Community Use Scheduling.
Fees: $45/hour for grass field, $100/hour for synthetic field, additional $25/hour if lights are needed.
- Space is available for Sports Camps and Clinics Monday – Friday, 8am – 4:30pm. If your request is outside of these times, please fill out a Park Use Application.
- A current Certificate of General Liability insurance coverage listing the ‘Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Fairfax County Park Authority and its officers, employees, and volunteers’ as "additional insured" on the policy will be required.
Fees: $45/hour for grass field, $100/hour for synthetic field, additional $25/hour if lights are needed.
- An hourly court rental fee is required in order to receive a permit.
- Permits will be issued for long-term use or tournaments only (minimum of 3 hours rented per application). Please use the Park Use Application
PARK USE APPLICATION
- For daily reservations, tennis courts may be reserved for singles, doubles or groups for a nominal fee at the following locations only:
Fees: $10 per court/hour. For Profit Use: $15 per court/hour (all park locations with tennis courts)
All commercial photographers conducting business on FCPA property or in FCPA facilities must obtain a photography permit and submit appropriate fees in advance. To learn more and apply for a permit, visit Commercial Photography in the Parks.
Food vendors now have an opportunity to provide food services to customers in selected parks. Authorized mobile food vendors will contribute to the park environment by offering specialty food items, premium customer service, and affordable menu selections. For more information on becoming a vendor, or to find out which vendors are permitted for sales in Fairfax County Parks, visit Park Authority Mobile Food Vending.
The Park Authority offers several locations where picnic areas, shelters, or amphitheaters can be reserved. For more information about scheduling one of these locations, visit Park Authority Picnics. If the park you wish to use for your picnic is NOT at one of our "reservable" sites, you must obtain a Park Use Permit or use the space on a first come, first served basis.
Fees: $350 per day. Nonprofit commercial use fee is $100 per day. There is an additional $35/hour fee per FCPA staff member required to work during the shoot.
Note: All professional videographers conducting business on FCPA property or in FCPA facilities must obtain a commercial use permit and submit appropriate fees in advance. To learn more and apply for a permit, visit Commercial Use - Filming in Fairfax County Parks.
The Fairfax County Farmers Market vendor selection process is competitive, based on each market's individual needs. Not all vendors that apply will receive a space at FCFMs. Spaces for baked goods vendors and conventional farmers are particularly competitive. This is especially true for our Saturday markets Reston and Burke. We do not allow any mid-season entry or drop ins. For more information on becoming a vendor, visit Farmers Markets Vending Information.
Important things to know before you apply:
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- An approved Fairfax County Park Authority permit reserves only the portion of the park indicated on the specific permit.
- Non-reserved areas and facilities are available on a first come, first served basis. Basketball courts on Fairfax County Property are not reservable.
- The park must remain open for use by the general public.
- Park users must adhere to all park regulations. Additional information regarding park regulations can be found in the Appendix 6 section of the Fairfax County Park Authority Policy Manual
- Permits are issued to adult applicants who will be responsible for supervising the entire event, and will be held responsible for any damage to park property or any injury to any party which results from inadequate supervision or carelessness.
- Group must indicate on the application specific location and method for posting signs. All signage must be approved in advance and must be removed at the end of the event. Signage may not be nailed, stapled, etc. to trees, signs, or buildings.
- Site must be vacated by the time specified on the permit.
- Entrance fees for non-county residents apply at Burke Lake Park on weekends and holidays from the end of April through the end of September. Visit Burke Lake Park
- The Fairfax County Park Authority does not provide security. Large events may require police presence at the sponsoring group’s expense.
- Parking must be restricted to defined parking lots, unless otherwise indicated on the permit.
- Amusement Features such as moon bounces, carnival rides, etc., require a Park Use Permit. If approved, the amusement feature must also be inspected by the Fairfax County Fire Marshal’s office. Check Guidelines
- Use of tents exceeding 900 square feet and/or to be occupied by more than 50 people will require a Fire Prevention Code Permit from the Fire Marshal's office. Tent Permit Guidelines
- Raffles or Bingo is limited to non-profit groups. Non-profit groups wishing to hold a raffle or bingo game must contact the Commonwealth of Virginia Charitable Gaming Business Activity License at 804- 371-0495 to obtain information about obtaining a permit
Changes to a Permit:
- Once you receive an issued permit, there is no fee to change your date, time or location to another Fairfax County Park if the request is made more than 30 working days in advance of the event date (or 1st date on permit).
- An approved change to an existing permit will be granted with a minimum of 10 working days’ notice for a $25 fee.
- Any change to an issued permit must be approved before a new permit will be provided. The change fee will be assessed based on the date of request, not the date of approval.
- With 10 working days or less before the event date (or 1st date on permit), a group is not eligible to receive a change in date, time or location for an issued permit.
Questions about permits should be directed to FCPAParkPermits@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Completed Applications should be sent to:
- FCPA - Park Services Division – Central Services Coordinator
- 12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 927
- Fairfax, VA 22035
- Or fax to 703-653-7012
- Or email to FCPAParkPermits@fairfaxcounty.gov