Chapter 28.1 of the Fairfax County Code requires business establishments that offer massage as a service in Fairfax County to have a permit issued by the Regulation and Licensing Branch. Massage therapy regulations are found in Fairfax County Code Chapter 28.1.
All applicants must appear in person at 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 127, Fairfax VA 22035 to apply. Applications are accepted Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm.
The following items are required by the Regulation and Licensing Branch to apply for a Massage Establishment permit:
- Application and Release of Personal Information form; signed and notarized. Notary services are provided during the application process at no charge to applicants.
- Valid, unexpired state-issued picture identification.
- Applicants who were born outside of the United States must provide valid, unexpired proof of employment authorization including, but not limited to, Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card, or proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Applicants who live or have lived outside of Virginia in the past 12 months must provide a state background check from state of residence (other than Virginia), normally available through state police.
- Copy of Fairfax County Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) from Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration.
- Copy of non-residential use permit (non-RUP) for establishment location from Fairfax County Department of Planning and Zoning.
- Payment of $90.00, payable to County of Fairfax by cash, check, money order or debit card. Credit cards are not accepted for payment of fees.
- Please review these requirements carefully. Failure to provide any of the required information will delay issuance of a massage establishment permit. Your permit, if approved, will be issued within 60 days of application provided that all necessary information and documents have been received.
Download a Massage Establishment Permit application (pdf)