For Immediate Release
April 30, 2020
Fairfax County Department of Transportation announces the expansion of service on Fairfax Connector bus routes 462 and 467, effective Saturday, May 9, 2020, to assist travelers during the demolition and reconstruction of the Cedar Lane Bridge over I-66. The Cedar Lane Bridge reconstruction effort is part of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (VDOT) Transform 66-Outside the Beltway project and is expected to begin mid-May, 2020, and last through November 2020.
The expanded service on Fairfax Connector routes 462 and 467 will be free for the duration of the Cedar Lane Bridge closure, and provides expanded hours during weekdays and new service during the weekends:
- View the new Route 462 and Route 467 Schedule and Map - Effective May 9, 2020 (PDF)
During the bridge closure, Cedar Lane will be closed between Cottage Street and Hilltop Road, and the bridge itself will be demolished and rebuilt to accommodate the widening of I-66 that is underway. Drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists will also be impacted by the bridge closure and should be aware of the following detours:
- Drivers will be re-routed to Gallows Road to cross I-66 using either Cottage Street (north side of I-66) or Hilltop Road and Lee Highway (south side of I-66).
- Pedestrians and bicyclists should use sidewalks along Cottage Street on the north side of I-66, shared-use path along Gallows Road by the Dunn Loring-Merrifield Metrorail Station, and multiple sidewalks on the south side of I-66.
Closing the Cedar Lane Bride allows demolition and re-construction to progress more quickly, shortening construction from 28 months to 6 months reducing construction impacts on neighbors and drivers. The new, wider bridge will include a wider sidewalk and a path for bicyclists and pedestrians, as well as a connection to the new trail being built along I-66.
For more information on the Cedar Lane Bridge project, to submit questions or provide comments:
- Call the project team at 703-662-3892, TTY 711;
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Visit Outside.Transform66.org/CedarLane.
To stay connected and informed about Fairfax Connector bus service:
- Visit www.fairfaxconnector.com;
- Subscribe to BusTracker email/text alerts;
- Call 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608 (M-F, 5 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sat.-Sun., 7 a.m.- 9 p.m.) Se habla Español; or
- Follow us on Twitter & Facebook.