FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 15, 2020
Allow Extra Time and Stay Safe While Traveling During Winter Weather
As wintry weather is expected for tomorrow, Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2020, Fairfax Connector passengers are reminded to plan ahead and take steps to stay safe while traveling. For safer, more bearable travel during winter weather:
Plan ahead and decide on a route that keeps you waiting outside for the shortest time possible. It is important to arrive at your bus stop five minutes before the listed arrival time of your bus.
To minimize the wait time at your stop, check the estimated arrival time of your bus on your smart phone, tablet or a desktop through Fairfax Connector BusTracker. You can also sign-up for email and/or text alerts for your routes estimated arrival times for a specific stop.
Dress appropriately for the cold weather meaning you are not exposing any skin to the cold, so you are wearing a hat, mittens or gloves, a scarf, socks, warm boots or shoes, and a warm jacket. Thick, loose clothing and lots of layers are ideal.
Be on the lookout for frostbite, which typically affects smaller, more exposed body parts like the nose, earlobes, fingers, hands and toes, and get out of the cold if possible. Symptoms are a change in skin color, a slightly painful sensation, hard looking skin, numbness and a cold or burning feeling. Again, it’s important to keep those areas covered to avoid frostbite.
Doing cardio at the bus stop might look a little silly, but moving your body and jumping up and down helps generate some heat. Just keep moving to keep your body temperature at a steady level.
Plan Ahead and Stay Informed of Operating Status
Fairfax Connector officials would like to remind passengers that during inclement weather service may be reduced, modified or suspended due to poor travel conditions. If road conditions become unsafe, icy or snow packed, service may be suspended on a route-by-route basis, or system-wide. Officials appreciate passengers’ patience and cooperation during weather events and encourage everyone to be prepared. Here are three things to know to stay informed and prepared for travel during inclement weather:
1. SYSTEM-WIDE OPERATING STATUS
To stay informed of any changes to Fairfax Connector system-wide operating status:
- Sign-up for email and text alerts for routes on Fairfax Connector BusTracker. **Watch a :30 video on how to use Fairfax Connector BusTracker here.**
- Call Fairfax Connector customer service at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608; Mon - Fri 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sat - Sun 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Se habla Español.
- Follow Fairfax Connector on Twitter and Facebook.
- Monitor local news outlets and www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/operatingstatus.
2. ROUTE-SPECIFIC SERVICE CHANGES AND DETOURS
For information on route-specific service changes and detours before, during, and after a winter weather event:
- Before you head out to your bus stop, check the status and any possible detours for your route on BusTracker or make sure you are signed-up for email and/or text alerts for your routes.
- You can also call Fairfax Connector customer service at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608; Mon - Fri 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sat - Sun 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Se habla Español.
3. BusTracker REAL-TIME ESTIMATED ARRIVAL INFORMATION
Riders are reminded that during inclement weather, route-by-route estimated arrival information in BusTracker may not be accurate:
- If your route is on detour, the information presented in BusTracker will not reflect real-time estimated arrival information but rather the schedule information.
- While on detour, a bus will not show up in the BusTracker location map view.
Monitor Road Conditions
Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is also asking drivers to monitor weather reports for the latest updates. Stay informed of current road conditions and VDOT’s efforts:
- Visit virginiadot.org/novaemergency for the latest updates and resources during winter events
- Follow @VaDOTNOVA on Twitter
- Check 511virginia.org or the mobile app for road conditions and closures