Who maintains your neighborhood road? What about the roads to work or to your favorite restaurant?
Well, there are eight answers!
- Virginia Department of Transportation (maintains most roads)
- Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
- Municipal (towns/cities such as Fairfax, Vienna, Herndon)
- Federal government
- Fairfax County Department of Public Works
- Fairfax County Park Authority
- Fairfax County Public Schools
Our new interactive, searchable map can now tell you who owns what road easily. If you see a pothole or other road maintenance issue, you can find who’s responsible.
Who to Contact
Now that you’ve found who maintains the road in question, here’s who to contact:
VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
- Call 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623) to report a road problem.
- Make a report online.
- Many private roads are maintained by businesses, apartment/condo complexes, homeowner/civic associations or residents. Contact your HOA or the business that’s responsible.
FAIRFAX COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
- If there’s an issue on a road maintained by the county, contact 703-877-2800, TTY 711.
FAIRFAX COUNTY PARK AUTHORITY
- If the road is maintained by the Park Authority contact park operations at 703-324-8594.
- Call 1-855-495-XPRS (1-800-495-9777)
- VDOT owns the Express Lanes, but a private company, Transurban, is responsible for maintenance and operations.
- GW Parkway, contact the National Park Service.