We appreciate donations from the community, and so do our shelter pets! Whether it's a new comfortable bed for a cat, or a puzzle toy for a dog, or the always-needed paper towels for general shelter use, donations help the shelter immensely. Donations from our 'wish list' go directly to support shelter animals, both at the shelter and in our foster program. Items that we receive but cannot use here at the shelter go to our wildlife rescue partners or rescue partners.
How to donate:
- Bring donations to the shelter during open business hours, which are Tuesday-Friday 12-7pm, and Saturdays and Sundays 10am-5pm. (Please do not leave donations outside the shelter.)
- View our Amazon Wish List!
- If you shop on Amazon, you have the option of designating the Friends of the Fairfax County Animal Shelter as your charity of choice via Amazon Smile, which generates even more donations to help our shelter pets!
- Visit the Friends of the Fairfax County Animal Shelter webpage, whose work helps support the shelter and provides the financial means for lifesaving care in numerous ways.
Items the shelter can use:
- new Nylabone and Kong toys for dogs
- new cat toys
- cardboard cat scratchers
- puzzle toys for cats and dogs
- small animal supplies
- timothy hay
- fleece blankets
- comfy pet beds of all sizes
- gift cards to almost anywhere (Target, pet stores, Walmart, etc)
- paper towels
- towels in good shape (bath or hand sized, no washcloths)
- pet food and treats (unexpired only, please)
- If unopened, it goes on our donation shelf for adopters to take home, setting them up nicely to welcome their new pet home!
- If opened, it goes to our wildlife rescue partners, who help us by taking in orphaned baby wildlife!
We do not accept the following items:
- any type of prescription pet medications
- fitted or flat sheets
- pillows or pillowcases
- comforters or large bedspreads
- couch or other cushions
Kids Can Help!
Check out the below ideas for ways kids can help our shelter pets!