Allowable Home-Based Businesses: Application Form and Process
Many businesses can be established with the administrative approval of a Home-based Business Permit. Additional flexibility for certain business types may be available through the special permit process. For information regarding allowable businesses, limitations, the application form and processing information:
Home-based Business Permits must be filed electronically and are granted by the Zoning Permits Section of the Dept. of Planning & Development.
- Once registered and logged into PLUS, select the Zoning tab from the top menu to create an application.
- The home-based business permit application can be found under the Zoning Administration Division tab.
Limitations and Considerations
- Customers or clients are not allowed to come to the home with this administrative permit (except for teaching activities associated with a small health and exercise facility or specialized instruction center). To have customers or clients, submission of a special permit application for approval by the Board of Zoning Appeals is required.
- A home-based business does not include any other accessory use defined in the Zoning Ordinance, such as a home day care facility or short-term lodging. In addition, teleworking is not a home-based business.
- Home-based food production is limited to certain foods. All home-based businesses that involve the production of approved foods must submit a Home-Based Food Production Supplemental Form.
- A limited riding or boarding stable is not considered a home-based business. To apply for an administrative permit, please submit a Limited Riding and Boarding Administrative Permit application.
Note: through the Special Permit process, it may be possible to modify some of the limitations associated with the administrative approval of a home-based business.
For Additional Assistance
Please contact the Zoning Permits Section by phone at 703-222-1082 or by email.
- Sometimes the uniqueness of a business concept may not fit clearly within an existing use definition, and you will be asked to submit a Use Determination Request to the Zoning Administrator.
- Based on the description of your use, the Zoning Administrator will determine what zoning designation matches your use and whether it can be permitted as a home-based business.