References to the Code of Virginia, the Code of Fairfax County, and federal laws are provided for informational assistance only, and should not be used or construed as a substitute for legal, financial, managerial, or other professional advice or counsel.
- Fairfax County Code Chapter 10 - Consumer protection information for Fairfax County residents.
- Federal Fair Debt Collection Act - avenue for disputing and obtaining validation of debt information.
- Federal Magnuson Moss Act - written warranty disclosed in simple and readily understood language.
- FTC Cooling-Off Rule - contracts signed in your home.
- Virginia Automobile Repairs Facilities Act - provides protections for consumers considering having repair work done on their vehicle.
- Virginia Consumer Protection Act - promoting fair and ethical standards of transactions between suppliers and the consuming public.
- Virgnia Freedom of Information Act - a statute giving a person the right to access information from government agencies.
- Virginia Home Solicitation Act - solicitation of the sale or lease by telephonic or other electronic means at any residence other than that of the seller.
- Virginia Mechanics Lien - protecting contractors from non-payment of labor and material.
- Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act –“Lemon Law” on purchased or leased vehicles in Virginia that contains a defect or condition that significantly impairs its safety, use, or market value.
- Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act - establishes the rights and obligations of landlords and tenants in Virginia.
- Chapter 13 - Landlord Tenant - common law when landlord is exempt from VRLTA.
Home and Condominium Owners
- Peddlers, Solicitors and Canvassers - Chapter 31
- Animals and Fowl Ordinance - Chapter 41.1
- Water Recreation Facilities Ordinance - Chapter 69.1
- Motor Vehicles and Traffic - Section 82
- Nuisance Noise – Section 108, Article 5
- Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance
- Virginia Condominium Act - contains all facets of developing, building, expanding, and living in a condominium neighborhood.
- Virginia Common Interest Communities - defines the responsibility and authority of the Common Interest Community Board and the Common Interest Community Ombudsman.
- Virginia Nonstock Corporation Act -applies to common interest communities that are incorporated with the Virginia State Corporation Commission as Nonstock Corporations.
- Virginia Property Owners Association Act - applies to developments subject to a declaration, as defined under this Act.
Cable Policy and Regulation
- Cable Ordinance Chapter 9.1- Fairfax county code chapter that addresses cable television and other communications services.
- Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984 - federal law that first codified national policy for the regulation of cable communications: as originally passed and as currently in force.
- Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992 - amended the Cable Act of 1984 on subjects including broadcast channel carriage and rate regulation.
- Telecommunications Act of 1996 - comprehensively amended the Communications Act of 1934, including the Cable Act.
- Communications Act of 1934- created the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and established a federal regulatory structure for wireline and wireless communications. This document includes the 1992 and 1996 amendments.
Regulation and Licensing
- Massage – Chapter 28.1 - permitting and regulation of massage therapists and massage establishments.
- Solicitor – Chapter 31 - details of requirements to solicit.
- Pawnbrokers and Precious Metal and Gem Dealers – Chapter 33 - requirements to sell precious metals and gems for pawnbrokers and dealers.
- Charitable Solicitors – Chapter 34 pertains to any person which is or holds itself out to be organized or operated for any charitable purpose which solicits contributions from the public.
- Towing – Chapter 82-5-32 -removal, immobilization, and disposition of vehicles unlawfully parked on private or county property.
- Taxicabs – Chapter 84.1 - regulates the operation of taxicabs for hire within the county.