The Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board's VIVA! program offers a wide range of volunteer opportunities in which you may use your ideas, talents and expertise to help people in our community.
There are many ways that you may volunteer with the CSB. You can:
- Lead or assist with an instructional workshop or wellness activity for a group of individuals served by the CSB.
- Assist with office tasks at one or more of our Fairfax County locations.
- Intern with one of our programs.
- Tutor one of the people whom we support in reading or math.
- Support the CSB team by driving clients to important appointments.
- Serve as a language interpreter to help connect and engage clients with information about the CSB’s services.
- Rake leaves, weed, or plant flowers at one of the CSB’s residential facilities.
CSB VIVA! volunteers contribute thousands of hours each year to benefit youth, families, individuals, older adults, and those with disabilities in our community. It only takes a small amount of time to do a lot of good. Everyone may do something to help.
Join us – take action today and apply to become a CSB VIVA! volunteer!
Eligibility Requirements for Volunteers
Depending on the role that you select, there may be different requirements to determine your eligibility; however, you must:
- Be at least 18 years or older to apply for an opportunity.
- Be able to commit to the time specifications for the role that you select.
- Have the necessary skills to perform the responsibilities of the role.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Be able to clear all background checks and health screenings.
- Be able to attend/complete all required trainings for the selected role.
- Be able to maintain confidentiality and professional boundaries.
- Be friendly, dependable and punctual.
CSB is an Equal Opportunity organization and does not exclude applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender identification or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Screening and Onboarding Process for Volunteers
VIVA! Program staff work hand-in-hand with individuals seeking to become volunteers at the CSB. Our staff works diligently to ensure that you are properly screened, selected and placed in programs that match your knowledge, skills, abilities and interests. This procedure ensures fair and equitable screening and selection processes.
In general, if you are interested in becoming a volunteer you should expect to:
- Complete an online application which includes your background and interests (a cover letter and resume may be requested for certain volunteer positions).
- Participate in at least two interviews – one with the VIVA! program staff and one with the supervisor of the volunteer opportunity.
- Complete onboarding paperwork, including written consent for background checks to be performed.
- Complete required trainings.
- Provide results from a TB test screening (volunteers may visit their own provider, or they may utilize the CSB's complimentary services to receive clearance through the Fairfax County Department of Health).
If you are selected for a volunteer opening, a conditional offer may be extended. Conditional offers for a placement are contingent on the satisfactory completion and results of all required references, background checks and TB screenings.
Copies of the applicable regulations regarding the screening and onboarding process can be requested by contacting the CSB (703-324-7000).
- CSB Regulation 2024, Criminal History Background Investigations
- CSB Regulation 2611, Intern Procedure, CSB Regulation 2024, Criminal History Background Investigations
- CSB Regulation 2612, Volunteer Procedure
- CSB Regulation 3040.8, Observation/Recording of Service Delivery to Consumers
Required Trainings for Volunteers
Every volunteer opportunity at the CSB is uniquely special and important to the mission and vision of the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board. The CSB VIVA! Program is committed to your success as a volunteer and aims to provide you with the tools that will make your volunteer experience a great one!
All volunteers are required to complete trainings on confidentiality and human rights to develop a solid understanding of our expectations of your service with the CSB.
Some volunteer opportunities require additional trainings and may have other conditions for eligibility.
I’m Ready to Take Action!
How do I get started?
❶ Select an opportunity. Visit the Fairfax County volunteer page to review the CSB’s current list of needs.
❷ Apply for the opportunity. Once you find a volunteer position that matches your interests; apply and create your online volunteer account.
❸ The CSB VIVA! Program Manager will contact you for next steps. We will review your application and contact you to discuss the next steps to joining our network of dedicated volunteers.