Fentanyl and Carfentanil
Heroin laced with fentanyl and carfentanil has appeared in illegal drug markets and is extremely dangerous for humans.
- Used for pain management for Stage 4 cancer patients.
- Ten times more potent than heroin.
- Lethal dose of pure fentanyl is about the size of a few grains of salt.
- From 2014 to 2015, fentanyl encounters more than doubled in the U.S. (from 5,343 to 13,882).
- Now present in illegal U.S. drug markets.
- 10,000 times more potent than morphine; 100 times more potent than fentanyl.
- Depresses the central nervous system and ability to breathe.
- Tiny particles (through nose, mouth, injection) can create life-threatening effects within minutes of exposure.
Image from Winnipeg Police Service