Board of Supervisors Meeting ~ June 22, 2021
Welcome to the podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday, June 22, 2021.
The Board appointed members to the 2021 Redistricting Advisory Committee. The 20-member redistricting committee will recommend proposed new electoral district boundaries for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and School Board. The committee is anticipated to begin drawing proposed new maps starting Aug. 30, and the public will be encouraged to draw its own maps, as well as offer comments and revisions. Redistricting is a legally required process to redraw electoral districts, and it is conducted to ensure proportional representation as populations grow and shift over time.
The Board approved:
Public hearings on:
- A zoning ordinance amendment related to historic overlay districts.
- An ordinance amendment related to creating, adding and renaming precincts and establishing their polling places.
- A Chesapeake Bay preservation ordinance related to resource protection area planting requirements.
- Neighborhood and Community Services accepting grant funding from the U.S. Department of the Treasury for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
- The Health Department accepting grant funding from the Virginia Department of Health for COVID-19 epidemiology support.
- FY 2021 year-end processing.
- Authorization for the county executive to execute an escrow agreement for proffered public facilities (Scott’s Run South and North Developments).
- Applying to the State Board of Elections for a waiver to administer a split precinct for the Lorton Precinct in the Mount Vernon District.
- The Affordable Housing Advisory Council and Continuum of Care charters and membership structure.
- The Department of Transportation applying for funding from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s FY 2021 RAISE Discretionary Grant Program for Richmond Highway bus rapid transit.
- The Consolidated Community Funding Advisory Committee recommendations for the FY 2023 and FY 2024 funding categories for the Consolidated Community Funding Pool.
- Renaming the Clifton town meeting hall after Wayne H. Nickum.
- An endorsement of Volume II district design guidelines for Annandale.
The Board held public hearings and approved:
- Rezoning for Lee Automotive in Springfield.
- Shoppes at Lorton Valley modifications.
- An additional voter satellite office at the Gerry Hyland Government Center.
- Adjusting the boundaries of Lane, Baileys, Weyanoke and Camelot precincts.
- Amendments to the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance and Chapter 12 (tree preservation) of the Public Facilities Manual that address planting requirements for Resource Protection Areas.
- Agritourism and related changes zoning ordinance amendments.
- The historic overlay district zoning ordinance amendment being brought back to the Board for decision on July 27.
- A plan amendment for new Comprehensive Plan guidance for the McLean Community Business Center with follow-up motions.
The Board designated:
- July 2021 as Latinx Conservation Month.
The Board recognized:
- Steven T. Edgemon, general manager of Fairfax Water, for his contributions to Fairfax County.
- The 50th anniversary of the first performance at Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts Filene Center and for the foundation’s cultural and educational work.
That’s all for this podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, thanks for listening. For more information about the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, including full meeting minutes and documents, visit the county Web site: www.fairfaxcounty.gov. This podcast is produced by the Fairfax County, VA, government.