Board of Supervisors Meeting ~ Nov. 21, 2023
The Board recognized:
- Abigail Akyea, finalist in the Boys and Girls Club of America National Youth of the Year Award.
- Dr. Jerry and Alice Foltz, Founders of the Centreville Immigration Forum for their contributions to the community.
- John Fee, Chairperson, Fairfax County Consumer Protection Commission for his contributions to the community.
The Board designated:
- November as Adoption Awareness Month.
- November 15 as Fairfax Recycles Day.
The Board also provided special recognition for the National Association of Counties (NACo). Matthew Chase, CEO/Executive Director (NACo) recognized Supervisor Penny Gross’s contributions to NACo and her years of public service to the community.
Jennifer Girard has been appointed performance auditor to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, effective, Monday, November 27.
- Approval for the replacement of two existing transformers at the Wescott Substation in the Mason District.
- Approval to construct a replacement of the Gunston Fire Station #20 to be located on the same property as the existing fire station.
- Streets into the Secondary System—Indian Springs Estates in the Mt. Vernon District.
- Authorization to advertise a public hearing to consider an ordinance to amend and readopt Fairfax County Code Section 7-2-13, relating to election precincts and polling locations.
- Approval of “$200 Additional Fine for Speeding” signs as part of the Residential Traffic Administration Program—Crosspointe Drive in the Springfield District.
- Approval of “$200 Additional Fine for Speeding” signs as part of the Residential Traffic Administration Program—Silverbrook Road in the Springfield District.
- Approval of “$200 Additional Fine for Speeding” signs as part of the Residential Traffic Administration Program—Braddock Road in the Sully District.
- Approval of a “Watch for Children” sign as part of the Residential Traffic Administration Program—Rushing Creek Drive in the Mt. Vernon District.
- Approval of traffic calming measures as part of the Residential Traffic Administration Program—Glenbrook Road in the Providence District.
- Authorization for the Fairfax County Police Department to accept funding from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance, FY 2024 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant.
- Authorization for the Fairfax County Police Department to apply for and accept grant funding from the Department of Criminal Justice Services, FY 2024 Combatting Hate Crime Grant Program.
- Authorization for the Department of Public Works and Environmental Services to apply for and accept grant funding from the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Office of the Secretary of Veterans & Defense Affairs’ Virginia Military Community Infrastructure Grant Program.
- Authorization for the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board to apply and accept grant funding from the Virginia Opioid Abatement Authority for the County’s FY 2024 and FY 2025 Noncompetitive Individual OAA Share.
- Approval for various county agencies to utilize funding from the Opioid Settlement Direct Distribution Funds for projects supporting Opioid Abatement activities.
- Authorization to advertise a public hearing to convey property at the Fairfax County Government Center to the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority in the Braddock District.
- Authorization to advertise a public hearing to validate and convey property at the Franconia Governmental Center to the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority in the Franconia District.
- Approval of a resolution to participate in the Virginia Juvenile Community Crime Control Act and to form a combined plan with the City of Fairfax with Fairfax County acting as the fiscal agent.
- Authorization of Economic Opportunity Reserve Funding to establish the Accelerate Entrepreneur-Investor Forum Program.
- Authorization to sign a standard project agreement for distribution of I-95/I-395 toll revenues to multi-modal projects in the I-95/I-395 corridor.
- Approval of the 2024 Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan for the Fairfax Connector.
- Approval of comments on the preliminary alternative concepts of the I-495 Southside Express Lanes Study.
For a complete listing of public hearings that were held and approved, please see the summary of Board actions that is available the week following the board meeting
That’s all for this podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, thanks for listening. For more information about the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, including full meeting minutes and documents, visit the county Web site: www.fairfaxcounty.gov. This podcast is produced by the Fairfax County, VA, government.