Consumer Services Division

CONTACT INFORMATION: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
703-222-8435 TTY 711
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 433
Fairfax, VA 22035

Consumer Complaint, Mediation & Arbitration Guide

The Consumer Affairs Branch assists consumers through advice inquiries, mediation and arbitration.

You are encouraged to search the complaint history of a company prior to doing business with them. You may contact us for advice, research assistance or to file a complaint. When a complaint is filed one of our consumer specialists will seek resolution through mediation or possible arbitration. When the mediation process is completed, the complaint will stay online for one year. 

Advice Inquiries

If you have consumer questions or concerns, contact Consumer Affairs at 703-222-8435, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and a consumer specialist will assist you.

If you have a consumer complaint, you can:

  • Search the complaint history for prior complaints submitted about the company.
  • File a complaint online.
  • Download a complaint form.
  • Contact the Consumer Affairs Branch at 703-222-8435, TTY 711, to have a complaint form sent to you.

Complaint Mediation

Complaints are resolved through voluntary mediation. When you file a consumer complaint, a consumer specialist will be assigned to your case. Through mediation, the consumer specialist works with the consumer and business to help them reach a resolution that is satisfactory to both. 

Arbitration Process

If mediation is not successful, a voluntary but legally binding arbitration process is available as a last resort before proceeding to court actions. The consumer specialist assigned to mediate your complaint will advise you if arbitration is an option.


The laws that protect consumers are the Virginia Consumer Protection Act and Chapter 10 of the Fairfax County Code. We have put together a laws and codes page that pertain to situations we handle or that may help you before you need to file a complaint.


Customer service Web site and telephone contact information for utility and cable providers serving Fairfax County locations. Callers can reach a company representative at any time, unless otherwise noted. Callers using text telephones should dial 711 if a TYY number is not provided.

Fairfax Virtual Assistant