Consumer Services Division

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday

TTY 711

12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 433
Fairfax, VA 22035

Rebecca L. Makely,

Tenant Resource Sheet

If you have a problem in your rental housing, contact the landlord or community manager first.  Follow up in writing and keep a copy of your written communication. If you do not get the help you need, contact the county agency below that is responsible for addressing your issue, or use the online Community Complaint Form. If you are not sure who to contact, call Consumer Affairs.

Fairfax County Department of Code Compliance
703-324-1300 TTY 711

  • No heat from October 15 - May 1, or air conditioning from May 15 - October 1
  • No utilities
  • Electrical system hazards
  • Plumbing problems and hazards, such as leaking water or flooding
  • Sewage backup inside the apartment
  • Broken doors or windows
  • Cracks or holes in exterior walls
  • Structural damage caused by rat, mouse or insect infestation
  • Noise complaints regarding animals, construction activity and equipment
  • Overcrowding  
  • Deteriorated stairways, walkways, steps, entrance ways, or breezeways
  • Unpermitted construction or demolition

Public Works and Environmental Services
703-324-5230 TTY 711

  • Overflowing trash and garbage outside the dwelling
  • Recycling
  • Missed trash and recycle pick-ups and mixing of trash and recycle set-outs for private haulers
  • Bulk items, brush or yard debris left within 10 feet of the curb line for more than 10 days
  • Trash and recycle collections made during prohibited collection hours of 9 p.m.—6 a.m.
  • Complaints regarding trash bags set out more than 12 hours in advance of collection

Fairfax County Health Department, Division of Environmental Health
703-246-2201 TTY 711

  • Information on prevention and control of roach, rat, mouse or other infestations that causes illness
  • Tick identification
  • Tick and mosquito surveillance and public education
  • Information on prevention and control of bedbugs
  • Information on mold, radon, and lead paint
  • Inspection and permitting of public and community swimming pools

Consumer Affairs Branch, Tenant-Landlord, Department of Cable and Consumer Services
703-222-8435 TTY 711

  • Information about the rights, responsibilities, and obligations of tenants and landlords
  • Guidance on what to do when there is a dispute or a problem regarding a residential lease agreement
  • Voluntary mediation or arbitration
  • Education, information, outreach and publications about tenant-landlord laws, issues and concerns
  • Tenant-Landlord Commission
Fairfax Virtual Assistant