The application process begins with you. You must have the desire to help others, and the passion to incorporate that desire into a career. The minimum requirements to submit an application to this Department are as follows:
- Have a high school diploma or GED at the time of application
- Be age 18 or older at the time of application
- No driving suspensions or more than one moving violation within the last twelve months,
- Drug free for the past 12 months,
- Possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license at the time of application and at all times during employment in the uniformed service
- Note: Illegal drugs use during the last twelve months, and/or two or more moving traffic violations during the last twelve months will disqualify you from further consideration.
The steps within the selection process in chronological order are:
- Personal History Statement and Documents Review
- Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) Preparation
- CPAT Exam
- Written Exam
- Polygraph Evaluation
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Profile Evaluation
Each phase of the selection process must be successfully completed in order to continue through the process. The position of firefighter/EMT is an entry level position and is highly competitive, therefore all candidates are encouraged to do their best throughout the selection process.
Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is extremely active in minority recruitment in order to maintain a diverse work force reflective of the community. Requests for reasonable accommodations should be made through the Recruitment Section prior to each event.
Please visit the Fairfax County Job News site to find out more about employment opportunities.