IF NOT YOU THEN WHO? JOIN THE FAIRFAX COUNTY AUXILIARY POLICE!
Interested in assisting law enforcement officers? Do you have what it takes to meet the high standards to become an FCPD Auxiliary Police Officer? Learn more about the duties & rewards of becoming one of these essential volunteer officers.
If you are interested in applying to this program or learning more about it, please go to the new Volunteer Management Software (VMS) system link to apply for the Auxiliary Police Officer program.
- Augment patrol officers
- Cover officers on traffic stops/traffic control at crash scenes/crime scene security
- Assist during community events
- Assist during DWI check point events
- May be assigned to various police units such as; animal control, court liaison, criminal investigations
- Be at least 21 years old
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien with application for naturalization filed and pending with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Good health
- Pass background investigation: polygraph exam, driving record, financial assessment
- Pass an interview process
- A high school diploma or GED
No, we do not carry a sidearm. We are issued pepper spray, a baton, and handcuffs.
- Six months of training, taught by FCPD Criminal Justice Academy staff
- Two weeknights & select Saturdays for mandatory training
- Range & track trainings
- Approximately 200 hours per volunteer
- Constitutional law
- Use of Force
- Defensive Tactics
- Report writing and note taking
- Traffic, crowd and crime scene control/security
- First aid and CPR
- Parking enforcement
- Evidence collection and chain of custody
Must provide 24 hours of service per month/288 hours per year
Auxiliary's is a volunteer position. We are not paid. However, every APO gets a $200 laundry allowance per year. In addition, if an Auxiliary lives in Fairfax county and have an automobile under the Auxiliary's name, the county waives the property tax on the vehicle.
- All uniforms and equipment
- Custom-fitted ballistic vest, gas mask
- Uniform shirts and pants
- Duty belt (OC spray, handcuffs, baton, flashlight)
- Portable radio
- On-duty insurance
- Uniform cleaning allowance