Want to better understand mental illness, learn how to help someone experiencing a crisis and possibly save a life?
Take a Mental Health First Aid class!
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an 8-hour training course designed to give community members key skills to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis resolves.
The program expands mental health "literacy" and reduces the social distance created by negative attitudes and perceptions of individuals with mental illnesses. The standard course is based on the international MHFA Guidelines and adapted for the U.S. These guidelines were developed using consensus of mental health consumers and professionals.
The Wellness, Health Promotion & Prevention staff of the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board is training our County government workforce and our community members in Mental Health First Aid.
Ready to take a class?
Developing mental health problems covered:
- Traumatic events
- Substance abuse
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviors
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Severe psychotic episodes
- Effects from substance and alcohol use
- Aggressive behavior
Participants will learn the signs and symptoms of these mental health problems, where and how to get help and what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective.
Individuals trained in the program:
- Increase their knowledge of signs, symptoms and risk factors of mental illnesses and addictions.
- Can identify multiple types of professional and self-help resources for individuals with a mental illness or addiction.
- Have more confidence that they can and are more likely to help an individual in distress.
- Better understand the impact mental illnesses have on a person, their family, and communities.
- Help to reduce stigma associated with mental illnesses.
- Show increased mental wellness themselves.
Got more questions about MHFA?
Read the Frequently Asked Questions about Mental Health First Aid, email CSBMHFA@fairfaxcounty.gov, or call 703-559-3000.