The Retail, Services and Amusements Grant will support retail establishments, services, and amusement businesses that operate from a physical brick-and-mortar in a commercially-, or industrially zoned location and have experienced economic distress due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Eligible organizations include, but are not limited to:
- Stores engaged in retailing merchandise for personal or household consumption at a fixed point-of-sale location.
- Offices or stores primarily engaged in providing personal or repair services.
- Offices of physicians, dentists and other health care practitioners.
- For-profit facilities that enable patrons to participate in amusement, hobby, fitness, and leisure-time activities.
- Example List of Eligible Businesses
How to Apply:
- Applications will open at 9:00AM on June 23 and close at midnight on July 9, 2021.
- Individual grant awards: .
Individual Grant Awards:
- Up to $12,000 for business with annualized gross revenues less than $3.5M in 2019.
- One grant available per location.
If more applicants apply than funding permits, a lottery will be held to select eligible businesses.
Business Operating Status:
Must be open or temporarily closed, planning to reopen by August 31, 2022.
Types of Ownership:
- Corporations, partnerships, and LLC’s: all are acceptable if business is operated out of a physical storefront.
- Sole Proprietors are eligible, subject to the following:
- Must meet minimum eligibility requirements for businesses.
- Must have physical storefront – lease or lease equivalent required.
- Did not receive unemployment benefits for more than six months during calendar year 2020.
- Demonstrate 51% annual income is derived from applicant business.
Approved Uses of Grant Funds:
Grant funds can be used for: working capital, equipment, rent, debt payments, inventory, employee compensation, and other business critical operating expenses, and to implement COVID-19 prevention or mitigation tactics. Funding must be used to sustain or evolve the grant awardee business. No grant funds can be used to pay debts to close the business or start a new business. All grant awardees will be expected to enter into a grant agreement with Fairfax County and/or the program administrator. A condition of the grant will be that the grantee will in good faith maintain the business in Fairfax County through December 31, 2022. Potential grants will reimburse businesses for eligible costs incurred on or AFTER March 3, 2021.
Required Documentation (subject to change prior to grant registration opening):
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- 2019 and 2020 year-end profit-and-loss statement, tax returns or similar statement of organizational financial standing
- Current Fairfax County BPOL license
- Commercial lease, lease equivalent, deed, or Landlord Affidavit
- Have eligible reimbursable costs of up to 100% of the grant amount requested. Costs to be demonstrated by receipts/ invoices. Per Federal guidelines all expenses must have been incurred AFTER March 3, 2021, to be eligible for grant funding.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements for Businesses:
- Businesses located in Fairfax County, including the Towns of Clifton, Herndon, and Vienna.
- Must have less than 500 employees.
- Must be revenue-generating prior to March 1, 2020.
- Annual receipts or gross revenue less than $3.5M (per establishment).
- Business must be able to demonstrate a 15% decrease in revenue during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Must have a physical, – “bricks-and-mortar” location.
- Businesses may have received other assistance including, but not limited to RISE, PPP, EIDL, REBUILD VA.
- Businesses are ineligible if they are located outside of Fairfax County, including if they are located in the City of Fairfax or the City of Falls Church, which are independent jurisdictions and not part of Fairfax County.
- Businesses are ineligible if they are permanently closed.
- Businesses are ineligible if they are online only or e-commerce.
- Businesses are ineligible if they are home-based, non-commercial.
For More Information:
For more information on the PIVOT Retail, Services and Amusements grant and how you can prepare to apply, please review:
Questions regarding the grant or application process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org