In October 2020, a motion was made by Commissioner Naef, seconded by Commissioner McCullough, that the History Commission approve, as a major initiative in 2021, the development of a research inventory by magisterial district, identifying publications, documents, records and such miscellaneous materials that provide access into the histories of African American communities throughout historical Fairfax County.
A committee was formed in January 2021 led by commissioners Phyllis Walker- Ford and Mary Lipsey. Commissioners from each district are researching and documenting African American history. When the initial effort has been completed, the research inventory will be posted here on the History Commission website. Residents are encouraged to contact their district’s Commissioners with information of any site or resource.
The Inventory will include the following:
- Physical sites - buildings, archaeological sites, cemeteries, street names, communities
- Collections - printed materials such as books, brochures, correspondences, photographs, maps, etc.
- Digital resources – websites, youtube videos, story maps, etc.
- Oral histories
- Church and School histories
- Historical Roadside Markers
- Family/private records