How Can You Help?
There are a number of ways that you can help out the homeless community in Fairfax County. No matter your skills, age, or resources, you can find a way to make a difference.
Donate your resources to different nonprofits that work with the homeless community. Have some items that you no longer need? Don’t throw them away, donate them. Donate clothing that individuals could wear to a job interview, furniture for a family moving into permanent housing, or children’s books and other learning material. Call your local nonprofits for suggestions or look to see if they have a list of needed items on their websites.
One of the most important ways you can help the homeless community is through volunteering. When you volunteer, you have the opportunity to form connections with members of the homeless community, which can leave a positive impact on both sides. There are a number of ways in which you can volunteer. Some examples are:
- Training homeless individuals for employment
- Working at a nearby shelter or housing organization
- Registering people who are homeless to vote
- Organizing or participating in fundraising drives for local service agencies
- Incorporating your skills to aid in efforts of housing first programs or supportive housing programs
- Recruiting others to join your efforts
Contact local nonprofits, read articles on why people are homeless, and talk to your friends and loved ones about the causes and solutions to homelessness. Most importantly, discuss how you can work on related issues such as paying living wages, providing education, accessing health care, stopping domestic violence and increasing the availability of affordable housing.